What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From this

To this

In three hours. Thank you Gabe for talking me down from doing this with the entire batch! :(

For those who've done fresh fruit in the secondary - do you sanitize the fruit with vodka, steep in 160 degree water for fifteen, something else or nothing at all?

I boil for 1 minute remove and puree. Several fruit beers and never a problem. That method was actually taught to me by the brew master at Shorts Brewing.

image-23084916.jpg

image-1179853556.jpg

The swmbo is drinking this wine with raspberrys and blackberrys

Dave37 said:
Welcome man! SNPA is always a fine choice in my book.

These boys here get to become a little rowdy and wrapped up in their brews after a few go down the hatch. its easy to slip through the cracks between all the pics of awesome beer. since I'm only 2 beers deep at the moment allow me to welcome you to the forums. you are lucky to have stumbled upon this treasure trove of info that is HBT so early into your brewing "career".

Hope to see you around and make sure to post a pic of that first pour of homebrew once its bottle conditioned. Hope it comes out great.

Cheers

Dave

Hey man, thanks for the warm Invite :) I appreciate, and rowdy isn't a problem for me, I'm in the navy ;) I look forward to everything this hobby has to offer! Even the unfortunate bad brew, hey it's a learning experience right? You all have seriously taught me a lot and I'm only one brew I , I thank you all :)

Finally got to try Pumking today! I have to say...Delicious! You can definitely taste the pumpkin and the spices. Hope my pumpkin ale turns out close to this one.

From this
View attachment 143376

To this
View attachment 143377

In three hours. Thank you Gabe for talking me down from doing this with the entire batch! :(

For those who've done fresh fruit in the secondary - do you sanitize the fruit with vodka, steep in 160 degree water for fifteen, something else or nothing at all?

You're adding fruit to a low pH, high alcohol environment, that already has a dominant microbe population. I just throw it it there, but I never make fruit beers with just sacc.

I boil for 1 minute remove and puree. Several fruit beers and never a problem. That method was actually taught to me by the brew master at Shorts Brewing.

Not that Shorts is infamous for releasing horribly infected fruit beers or anything...

Heat + fruit = pectin = chill haze

That's what I'm thinking I want to do ... it just goes against my anal retentive nature to sanitize everything :)

Whatever you do, I'd hurry up and do it instead of letting the prepared fruit hang out. Or did you freeze? Might help bust it up. I can't really remember what pomegranate is like other than odd. I had to eat them in a high school play and haven't had them since.

they are in a container in the fridge ... but freezing might be a good idea. The pistils are like seeds filled with the juice so freezing them to burst those might be a good idea. If this blasted conference call ends I'll go do that.

Put them on a cookie sheet to freeze so you don't get a big block. Line the sheet with wax paper or parchment or something. Then they should be easier to funnel into your BB to let them thaw before racking the beer in.

Not that Shorts is infamous for releasing horribly infected fruit beers or anything...

Heat + fruit = pectin = chill haze
I've never had or heard of a infected fruit beer from them and btw
No chill haze here big guy. My Bloody Beer and Pineapple IPA were clear.
IMG_16270587225228_zps37fa7874.jpg

Having coffee for now. I'm exhausted after a long night of work, so no beer for me today (at least until later).

Wow - that is getting close. Is the smoke still down or has it gone back up since yesterday?

It is bad in the mornings but it lifts up and away during the day for the most part. Today is the worst air quality so far though. Hopefully with all the man-power they are throwing at it now things will get better soon. We are supposed to see rain tomorrow but T-storms could be coming with it also. More on the air qual here too: http://www.kpax.com/news/hazardous-air-quality-reported-in-lolo/

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
I've never had or heard of a infected fruit beer from them and btw
No chill haze here big guy. My Bloody Beer and Pineapple IPA were clear.

They've done better recently, but a few years ago they were bottling some really screwed up beers.

Very little pectin in pineapple and even less in maters chief. In general, heating fruit above 170ish will give you cloudy beer.

They've done better recently, but a few years ago they were bottling some really screwed up beers.

Very little pectin in pineapple and even less in maters chief. In general, heating fruit above 170ish will give you cloudy beer.

Lies all lies!!! :D

What about just a flash dip in boiling water(which is basically what I do)

Latest posts

Back