Another Keezer Build (mid-century modern/Ikea-inspired design).

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A4J

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started building my keezer almost 2 years ago. It was primarily based on Jester369's keezer project. Mine was going to be slightly bigger with some storage space and the top would overhang like bar. I got it to work [pics here and here] and I've already served countless pints from it but it was just huge and unwieldy so I never got around to finishing it.

Fast forward to November of last year and SWMBO gave me the green light to upgrade our home entertainment center with the caveat that I finish the keezer/bar.

I completely re-thought the design, mainly getting inspiration from gxm's keezer and from this random keezer I ran across a long time ago. I started drawing it up in SketchUp and here's the design we agreed on
5388264570_fb223928ae_o.jpg

here's a detail sketch
5388264588_c28c2781d2_o.jpg

on to the build...
5388264604_49fe52a4e3_o.jpg

plywood board and 2x4 framing attached to the wall for stability

heavy duty drawer slides can support up to 500 lbs.
5387658913_8592e56998_o.jpg

the keezer is floating off the ground by about 4 inches.

staining the top panels
5387659133_72a94121e5_o.jpg

side panel installed and dry-fitting the front panel
5387659177_68c4a58fe4_o.jpg

The short list of things to do:
  • Install top panels
  • New beer lines and install tower
  • Finish front panel and liquor cabinet
  • wiring for fan and lighting
  • ??????
  • profit

**************************edit**************************

here's the final product as of 02.25.11

5476151563_b4ef0dfda3_b.jpg

5476750968_1a2e8188e0_b.jpg

5476151801_3b09ac8e1f_b.jpg

seems to be a problem on HBT often I don't see photos members have uploaded to their gallery or profile. where are others can. I thought it might be a free membership vs paid membership

-=Jason=-

A4J - I love the drawer idea to pull the freezer out of the cabinet. I may steal this idea if SWMBO ever lets me move the freezer out of the garage and into the house.

As for the pictures. I have no problem seeing them since the thread was created. Earlier today, on a different thread, I did have problems seeing pictures. I logged out of HBT (something I never do), and loged back in and I saw the pictures I could not see before. It may be worth a try. I know it is not a free/paid thing as I have never been a paid member, and I have never had problems seeing pictures other than the one time I just referenced.

the keezer is floating off the ground by about 4 inches.

All keezers do, because they are F#%ing MAGIC! (This is best read with a fake Scottish accent and a few pints inside you.)

Awesome build. Carry on. :rockin:

*update*
hooked up all the electric stuff. everything's working according to plans.

dry-fitting the front face
5401771897_3c6bfb3da3_o.jpg

and a preview of what the lighting will look like through the frosted glass door
5401772043_44714aae00_o.jpg

have you filled it with kegs full of water or beer to see if that framing will behave itself under full load?

that is an amazing idea, i look forward to the finished product!

i applaud you, sir. totally genius maneuver.

i'm curious how you plan to deal with the beer line, given that the tower is stationary but the freezer moves. does the freezer just have an open top and slide closed into a sealed position? or will you put the lid on the freezer and use a trunk to get the beer from the freezer to the tower?

Here are a couple of detail pics of the drawer glides. As you can see, they're pretty beefy at about 1.5" high and the steel is about the thickness of a quarter.

5407055588_30fbe8ff00_b.jpg

5406447245_6cc9563330_z.jpg

and this is where I left of last night. I made the cutouts for the Love controller and a fan/light switch, and I've also stained it.

5406447947_ce41c5138a_b.jpg

This is pretty bad ass... thinking I need to upgrade my keezer now.

Very nice design, and it looks like your execution is great too. I look forward to following the progress.

My only thought is that you could have put four casters on the bottom to avoid the pricy slides.
I had it on caster before and it just didn't roll easily on the carpeted floor.

Cacaman said:
That's the most beautiful tower I've ever seen O_O
Thanks. I got it for an incredible price. It took a lot of elbow grease to get it all shiny and it does have the budweiser logo on it, but you can't beat the price.

Finally finished it. Here are some updated pics.

5476151563_b4ef0dfda3_b.jpg

5476750968_1a2e8188e0_b.jpg

Here's a pic with the lights on. The lights in the keezer are tied to the lights in the media center. I can change the color with the push of the button and I can set it to party mode which flashes between the different lights.
5476151801_3b09ac8e1f_b.jpg

I still need to add a drip tray and reconfigure the fan inside but it's done for now!

Finally finished it. Here are some updated pics.

2718-finally-finished-keezer.jpg

2722-how-keezer-opens-up-access-kegs.jpg

2719-lights-i-can-change-color-push-button-i-still-need-add-couple-more-pieces-but-lighting-pretty-much-done.jpg

I still need to add a drip tray and reconfigure the fan inside but it's done for now!

I can't see these new pics. I think I stumbled on something - pics with hyphens in the name are not viewable by many here. Could you try renaming them or reuploading with different names?

Thanks!

I can't see these new pics. I think I stumbled on something - pics with hyphens in the name are not viewable by many here. Could you try renaming them or reuploading with different names?

Thanks!
I changed the name and the program still adds a hyphen. I uploaded it to flickr so hopefully you can see them now.

WOW, That turned out great. I really like how you got the same look of the cabinet next to it. Great job.
Thanks. That was the goal. They're not exactly the same color stain but close enough. The cabinet door on the keezer is from the same Ikea line as the door on the media center cabinet.

I was originally stain everything a dark color but when I was dry fitting the cabinet face, I liked the two-tone look so I just went with it.

What size freezer is that? It almost looks too small to be able to fit 5 kegs in it. Maybe its just the angle.

One of the most innovative keezers I've ever seen! Truly beautiful.

(waits quietly in corner for 'seal question' to be answered...)

I'm confused about the lidless chest freezer. Is there any type of seal?
Yup, there is. This is a bad pic but hopefully it explains how I addressed that issue.
5476369923_5364612d85_b.jpg

The top of the cabinet acts as the lid. I made a "collar" with insulation boards that extends below the top of the freezer which creates a pretty tight seal.

What size freezer is that? It almost looks too small to be able to fit 5 kegs in it. Maybe its just the angle.
It's 8.9cf. I have a 20# CO2 bottle in there right now so I can only fit 4 5-gallon kegs + 1 3-gallon keg.

Latest posts

Back