Did I just ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutab81

Reaction score
Racked my IPA to a secondary for clearing and dry hopping, but my autosiphon wasn't making a good seal, or my muslin bag over the siphon was clogging. Anyways, I couldn't get a good flow completely going.

There were air bubbles going through the tube, and I had to restart the siphon several times.

I am afraid I may have oxygenated my beer, thus ruining what was an expensive and fantastic tasting batch before I siphoned.

Anybody have a similar experieince and can share what they know? RDWHAHB? I know I can't do much now, but I am taking this to a party with the expectation of it being a great beer and am now concerned.

Is there any product I can add to the secondary to limit the effects?

No and I did read your post. :D

It takes a heck of a lot of O2 to oxydize your beer...more than normal racking activity, or even most of our more common boneheaded moves/mistake that we all make...our beer is hardier than most new brewers give it credit. Besides, oxydation is more of a down the road problem, the effects don't show up overnight...and even if we did introduce enough ppm's of O2 to damage it, most of the time we finish drinking the batch before it develops.

You almost need to be pumping an entire bottle of pure O2 into your wort to do enough damage...Nowadays it's even encouraged in higher grav (1.070 +) to introduce more O2 into the wort between 10-12 hours after yeast pitching (according to Chris White of Whitelabs)...an idea that was considered verboten not to long ago, but ideas change.

In otherwords, take proper precautions but don't obsess/worry about it.

No and I did read your post. :D

It takes a heck of a lot of O2 to oxydize your beer...more than normal racking activity, or even most of our more common boneheaded moves/mistake that we all make...our beer is hardier than most new brewers give it credit. Besides, oxydation is more of a down the road problem, the effects don't show up overnight...and even if we did introduce enough ppm's of O2 to damage it, most of the time we finish drinking the batch before it develops.

You almost need to be pumping an entire bottle of pure O2 into your wort to do enough damage...Nowadays it's even encouraged in higher grav (1.070 +) to introduce more O2 into the wort between 10-12 hours after yeast pitching (according to Chris White of Whitelabs)...an idea that was considered verboten not to long ago, but ideas change.

In otherwords, take proper precautions but don't obsess/worry about it.

Brilliant! Agree witht he precautions but tough not to obsess! You guys always answer quickly enough so I dont waste my day over it.:cross:

Latest posts

Back