Brewpubs & beer bars in SW Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are vacationing in SW Michigan - specifically South Haven - over the weekend. I won't be able to hit up any major towns, but wanted to do the best I can to experience this state's wonderful beer culture. Anyone from this area have any suggestions? Looking to stay near the Lake Michigan shoreline.

type in beer breweries into the search bar here next to south haven. south haven mi - Google Maps

I went to new holland a couple years ago before my beer prime and remember it being good although I can't be exact about anything.

Bell's is Bell's. It will be good.

From South Haven, Kalamazoo is 45 minutes east on 43. It's not exactly right next door, but in West Michigan terms, it kinda is. Bells is in Kalamazoo as well as Kraftbrau. Both make fine beer (Bell's of course is far more well known plus, the building and beergarden outside is awesome!).

Right in South Haven, there's Saugatuck Brewing Co. I've personally never been, but I've heard some good things about it. It might be worth checking out.

I had to stay in Aurburn Hill twice for work and there is a little town called Royal Oak near by. There is about 5 breweries there and each one has a distinct style. For one week I visited each one a different night. I loved to, but my girlfriend was beered out after 3 nights.

Founders has good beer, Bells, Arcadia, New Holland. The only bad beer I ever got from West Michigan was from the Hopcat, and they just started and were learning the equipment. They have like 48 taps of mostly Michigan and regional beers, but a few national and world beers too. Of course some styles I didn't care for, but that's just me.

Most all West Michigan beer should be available nearby. Way too many to try them all! I know I'm forgetting one too.

I live in Holland, about 30 minutes north. We have New Holland Brewing Company here in town, which is a pretty good brewery. They have a "High Gravity Series" that contains quite a few good brews, my favorite being Brother Jacob, a Belgian Dubbel.

Bell's Brewery (Eccentric Cafe) is probably the closest top-notch brewpub to you, about 25-30 minutes away. Bell's is Bell's, obviously it's going to be worth the trip.

Founders in Grand Rapids is probably about an hour+ drive, but they have a GREAT brewpub and awesome beers. LOVE Founders, and they have some really interesting beers on tap right now.

I've heard good thinks about Darkhorse in Marshall, but haven't been there myself. The same holds true for Saugatuck Brewing Co. (The LuckyStone Pub); haven't been there but I've heard good things.

Thanks for the suggestions. We ended up staying in town, but if anybody's around South Haven and enjoys cider, I'd check out McIntosh Cider Mill. Pretty nice little apple orchard and cider mill.

Latest posts

Back