brand new to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngblood

Reaction score
I'm getting a bit of a vinegary smell when I check on it, but its VERY faint been sitting for about 5 days we are basing from Concentrate we used Saccharomyces Bayanus Yeast, so far it only has a very slight smell of vinegar wondering what we're doing wrong and if it can be righted.

if the gravity readings are changing or the airlock is bubbling, i'd just step away and let it ferment. i got a vinegary taste for the first week after bottling with my very first batch; i think it was because i didn't let it ferment out all the way. cider fermentation smells terrible, but the yeast cleans up after itself if you give it time. i wouldn't even worry for two more weeks. then bottle it, let it sit for a two weeks or more, then drink it.

How/what was your sanitizing procedure? Did you open ferment at all? Tell us how you put this together and we might be able to help better. Vinegar taste is not a good thing. Could mean some "uglies" got in there somehow...

Latest posts

Back