Who has the Freshest Malt Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
I am not ready to make the jump to all grain yet and want to get some malt extract online. My LHBS only has canned Muntons, Alexanders, etc. so I was wondering if anyone had any guidance on which online supplier has the freshest malt extract. They all claim high turnover, but you all have so much experience, I wanted to check in with the pros.

Thanks!

I'd say you'd be fine with Northern Brewer, Midwest, AHS, Williams or any other vendor that would be getting a large volume of orders.

Williams has a large selection of extracts that they say are made especially for them. *shrug*

Morebeer says their extract is never more than two weeks old, and I've had outstanding results with it for many, many batches. However, I've never used any of the other online vendors for extract, so I can't compare.

Buuump. Can anyone claim this title? I wish there was a way to prove it. Like if a movement caused manufactures to print a production date or best by date

Buuump. Can anyone claim this title? I wish there was a way to prove it. Like if a movement caused manufactures to print a production date or best by date

It's not just the production date, though. Many of the bigger and better stores, like Northern Brewer, not only go through it faster than other smaller stores, they have it in big plastic barrels and dispense it with inert gas (argon? nitrogen?) to keep it fresh in the little containers as well.

Northern Brewer has things like Munich malt syrup and rye malt syrup that other stores don't have, so that's been my recommendation for a long time.

It's not just the production date, though. Many of the bigger and better stores, like Northern Brewer, not only go through it faster than other smaller stores, they have it in big plastic barrels and dispense it with inert gas (argon? nitrogen?) to keep it fresh in the little containers as well.

Northern Brewer has things like Munich malt syrup and rye malt syrup that other stores don't have, so that's been my recommendation for a long time.

Well your word does instill some confidence in me. Perhaps my journey begins today

Back