Starter for Maudite clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
I need to make a starter for my maudite clone. I thought I was supposed to do one cup water to two cups DME, but it really didn't work out so well. Now I'll need to pick up a little extra DME before I can brew.

So anybody have recommendations for making a proper starter for a high SG beer?

Thanks,
D*Bo

I don't have suggestions, but I'll tell ya what I do have:

A powerful hankerin' for your recipe for a Maudite clone. I have major love for that brew, I'd love to do it at home. Mind sharing?

I'll post up the recipe after it's done. The owner of the brew shop helped me put it together, so it's not a tried recipe.

All right, thanks.

I realized my problem after I posted.
I was trying to hurry and get it done before the girl I'm seeing got back to my place.
I had some intestional thing going on and she is a nurse, so I was going to get an earfull if I wasn't on the couch resting. So I scorched the wort pretty bad.
Never seen anything boiling on the stove fill the kitchen with smoke that fast.

I would like to see a clone for that beer also... I posted in another forum a beer that one of the guys at my HBS helped me with but I haven't quite made it into the all grain yet so I'm not quite able to try it out yet...

Since things keep comming up, I'll post it tomorrow. At this rate one of you will probably have it bottled and drinking it before I get to brew it.

Since I've been asked a couple times and PM'ed here is the tentative recipe for the Maudite clone. This was an impromptu attempt that my LHBS put together. Keep in mind he hasn't had it in quite a while and this was designed knowing that it would have to be tweaked slightly. He's usually spot on, first attempt.
I'm going to atttempt to brew this weeekend, but no promise.

Wort size 3.5 gal
Boil time 60 min

9 lbs light DME
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt
0.38 lbs Munich Malt
0.25 lbs Cara-pils Dextrin Malt

1 oz Tettnanger Tettnang 60 min
1 oz Tettnanger Tettnang 40 min
1 oz Chech Sazz 20 min
1 oz Chech Sazz 10 min

White Labs Belgan Ale Yeast WLP575

Happy brewing

Using the metric system makes measuring DME for a starter easy. Use a 10:1 ratio. For example, if you want to make a 1000ml starter then you would weigh in 100 grams of DME and then add water till you get a total volume of 1000ml, add some yeast nutrient and continue as you normally would.

John

Curacao orange is used in the blanche, licorice, anise, cardamom also used in their beers, amounts have yet TBD.

W3864 is the strain you will need for Primary fermentation.
Now as far as re-fermentation, the mystery yeast used at bottling is a different strain, so when you are ready to bottle you'll need to culture some additional yeast from a fresh bottle to add, along with Cane sugar to increase alc by .5%. Again these amount have yet to be determined.

Here is another recipe that was posted for a clone. Keep in mind this has not been tesetd to by anyone on the forum.:eek:

I transfered it to a keg the other day. It tasted prety good. Along the lines of Maudite, but it's been a while since I had some, and the last batch I had was a little off. Every bottle foamed like crazy no matter how cold I got it.
Another week and a half or so and I'll give it a shot. I just put it on 10 PSI to carbonate it. I didn't have any priming sugar and didn't want to deal with the extra yeast setteling.
If I can find all the valves I need I should have a counter pressure bottle filler made soon, maybe I could send you a sample.
On the plus side the color was really good.

Back