allen bradley 1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing you have the micrologix1000. Do you have access to rslogix500 to setup your project? I don't know if you can download it for free online or not.

I think it'd be fun to do. What are the I/O specs on yours? If I remember right, there are various options for the amount of I/O and the I/O rating (24v vs 120v).

What model is it? I'd sell it on eBay and put that money toward buy a rack from automation direct. Last time I used it on a project their software was free. Don't get me wrong, AB is my favorite plc...When someone else is paying for it.

yeah I am learning that it is a 1761-32awa I bought it the power supplu communication interface and cord but getting scared of the software, going to need alot of help on this, Im not scared lol

I have a good amount of Rockwell Automation experience. I believe that the MicroLogix 1000 series is fairly limited in that it doesn't have PID or Calculation instructions available in the RSLogix 500 programming software.

is that good or bad? and why thanks for the input i need all i can get, this is an indoor exeriment for the brewery in the pics on my profile thanks again!!!

Wow!!! That is a very impressive brewery!
It depends on what you are planing on using the PLC for. The lack of a calculation instruction isn't a big problem because you can still use add, subtract, multiply, and divide instructions to perform calculations. The lack of a PID instruction might be an issue if you were planning on implementing temperature control. Does your MicroLogix have any analog inputs? What type of monitoring and control were you planning on doing with the PLC?

is that good or bad? and why thanks for the input i need all i can get, this is an indoor exeriment for the brewery in the pics on my profile thanks again!!!

RsLogix500 is one of the most straight forward plc dev environment there is. Do you have the programming cable? As I mentioned before...sell it and buy a click series from AutomationDirect. The software is free and very easy to use. I worked as a controls engineer for 8 years for a huge plastic container company. I have used everything under the sun. My last few years I just always spec'd out automation direct. I was tired of the Rockwell yearly support crap and the outrageous prices. I also sold AB plcs ad hmi's for several years before that. The click software is easy if your trying to learn.

Thanks for the input everyone, as you can tell I really spared no expend in the brewery build, I am a welder/pipefitter in the food industry, I have been around the allen bradley controls forever but will be the first to admit dont know a damn thing abput the programing, thus the interest. I hnow the piping, where the rtds go the level sensors flow meters etc, I am looking at this as another learning adventure, I worked on hot tubs 20 plus years ago when it was all mechanical relays hi limit switches etc i am going to make the process this way first (since I know how) and when thats done look at automation with the plc, what are the real software costs of the allen bradley? and thae anual costs? And a model number for the baddest ass automation direct plc thanks again so much!!

oh and my interestin spin on this is a have built a bank of ten deep cycle batteries with three cobra inverters, an iota dls-90iq4 charger a solar charge controler and a bogart 2025 rv monitor to keep this as self sufficient as possible, plan to run controls, pumps, etc as much as possibe running dc to keep from burning energy through the inverters have an edgestar 80 qt freezer 110/12v for chilling which i cant even say enough good things about, power comsumption is about nothing

I don't think that the MicroLogix 1000 is a good fit for your brewery. The "spare no expense" approach would be to get yourself a CompactLogix PLC, a nice color touch screen PanelView, and find someone who already has the software to program it all. The DIY approach would be to get yourself a BCS or Brewtroller.

The Micrologix 1000 was a workhorse in its time. The major drawback of th 1000 is that you are limited to the I/O that comes with it. I dont beleive there was a version where you could add expansion I/O. If you have access and are familiar with RS 500 software and want to stck with Allen Bradley, I would ebay the 1000 and buy a 1500. The 1500 has a rack bus system that will let you use Compact Logix modules. The assortment is endless. Anolog, digital, T/C, RTD, HSC,etc. If you do not have the software and experience go with an Automation Direct plc. The software is cheap ( a few hundred compared to thousands for the Allen Bradley Rockwell Software), and if you have to learn a system you might as well learn on what is affordable for the application. Just my 2¢.

Latest posts

Back