Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, and my girlfriend just reminded me of the time we were at our local discount beverage store and we ran into a rep from the Ithaca Beer Co giving out samples. We were kind of in a hurry, and the case of Anchor Steam I was carrying was getting kind of heavy. The Rep seemed like a nice guy, and gave me a pretty sweet sticker when I told him I liked all the Ithaca beers I had tried before, but wasn't interested in any samples. He was pretty insistent and I almost put down the beer I was carrying just to try something to shut him up until he said, "Hey, Anchor Steam! I love a nice, hoppy IPA, too! You should try our IPA if you like Anchor Steam."

My girl just steered me right out of there before I could process what the guy actually said.

Man I love Anchor Steam too. You can really taste the hops and the steam!

You can say what you want, but no one can deny that the Bourbon County line is amazing, by anyone's standard. I could care less who owns Goose Island when I drink a Bourbon County Proprietor's, probably the best beer of last year IMO.

+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Look at the style guidelines - at the lower end of the style it basically a cream ale can be summerised as doesn't really smell/taste of malt or hops but some flavour of corn and a bit of DMS is ok... I've never had Natty but does that sound like its description :D

I would like to know how they beat out - I would imagine that most craft brew cream ales would be at the upper end of the style, and possibly go too far and fall outside it... possibly being a "better" beer for it :D

Natty Ice doesn't even taste like corn. That would be an improvement.

My dad was a Labatt Blue drinker for a long time, but the past couple of years he's been drinking Coors Light. I recently started up home brewing again and he'll come over and check things out, but mostly it's just an excuse to get away from my stepmother and hang out with me for an hour or two. He's tried everything I've brewed, and he'll he'll always try a sip of whatever craft beer I'm drinking, and no matter what it is, he'll say, "not bad, but I liked that other one better," and then have another Coors Light while pretending to listen to whatever I'm trying to teach him about beer.

Last night, We go to the local Vets club where I haven't been in a while, and the bartender gives him a bottle of Coors Light and says, "hold on, let me get you a glass," but my dad stops him and says, "Don't bother, I only drink beer out of a glass."

Your dad sounds pretty cool.

I was describing a pale ale that I'm brewing and my friend said "isn't a pale ale an unalcoholic beer?" When I said no nicely and that the "pale refers to the color and taste" he said that I was definitely wrong.

instead of berating my friends, when one argues with me, which seldom happens anymore, i make them google on the smartphones they are always buried in. Then just drink my pale ale and wait for the apology.

but you seem to have taken this pretty calmly.

I always get a metallic taste. Must be from the anchor...

I get my anchors out of Casco Bay. I'm going to do a brew with California steam as soon as somebody sends some. Still waiting man. This will be a major rad hip groovy East West Coast style never before attempted by the ModeratelySane.

I get my anchors out of Casco Bay. I'm going to do a brew with California steam as soon as somebody sends some. Still waiting man. This will be a major rad hip groovy East West Coast style never before attempted by the ModeratelySane.

I had somebody that told me he was sending me some California Steam, all he sent was a half-filled jug of water...

When I went to the doctor with my nasty all December sinus infection I was asked if I smoked.
No.
Do I drink?
Yep.
How much?
About 2 a night.
Really? (as if it is a lot)
Yeah, I brew my own beer. I enjoy a couple in the evening
(Here is where it gets real good)
Doctor says that she likes pale ales and IPAs. Then mentions being too much of a wuss to try a Voodoo Donut. I had to laugh.

When my batch of Zombie Dust clone is done next I may have to bring her a bottle or two.

When I went to the doctor with my nasty all December sinus infection I was asked if I smoked.
No.
Do I drink?
Yep.
How much?
About 2 a night.
Really? (as if it is a lot)
Yeah, I brew my own beer. I enjoy a couple in the evening
(Here is where it gets real good)
Doctor says that she likes pale ales and IPAs. Then mentions being too much of a wuss to try a Voodoo Donut. I had to laugh.

When my batch of Zombie Dust clone is done next I may have to bring her a bottle or two.
My boss went to the doctor back in November or December -- for the same thing, sinus infection -- and found out his cholesterol and blood pressure was through the roof. To the point the DR banned him from exercise until he could lose 15 lbs (and almost forbid him from marital relations). She explicitly told him to start drinking at least one beer a day, and if he could get into more craft beers (he's a straight-up BMC drinker; I think I've seen him crack something other than a Bud Light once in the decade I've known him), that would be better.

He told her his wife wouldn't believe him, so she actually sent a note home with him saying "Brian is to have one or two beers every night after work" (Even said if he skips a night, to go ahead and have 3 or 4 the next night)

According to one of my hardcore Coors Light buddies, everything I drink is either foreign, weird, dark, and/or nasty. He comes to this conclusion just by looking at it. Whether it's Lagunitas Little Sumpin, Surly Furious, or Bells Expedition. Don't matter. It's all crap. I don't even try to correct him, just carry on with the evening, still good times, just a bit annoying. He's one those that'll never change so I don't bother, and I'm OK with that as long as he thinks he's having fun.

Did you ever see the episode of brew dogs when they went anchor steam and we're inspired to serve their beer as stem/fog

I did see that episode (and every other one too I think). Those guys are a riot and it's always interesting to see what they try to do with their beers.

After telling a guy at work that I brew, he replies, "That's cool man. What color?"

I know his question was a variant of the popular light-or-dark question, but I thought his wording was interesting. If I had been in a sardonic mood I might have answered something like blue or purple.

After telling a guy at work that I brew, he replies, "That's cool man. What color?"

I know his question was a variant of the popular light-or-dark question, but I thought his wording was interesting. If I had been in a sardonic mood I might have answered something like blue or purple.

I did a blueberry wheat that came out more purple. Funny that you should mention those 2 colors specifically.

So today I went and picked up a fridge off craigslist to build a fermentation chamber...

Me: "Yeah this might work..."
Him: "What are you using it for?"
Me: "Fermentation chamber."
Him: "What...?"
Me: "Fermentation chamber. For brewing beer."
Him: "Why don't you just lager it like everyone else??"
Me: "*eyebrow raised* Wait... Run that by me again"
Him: "Yeah that's what I do with my beer..."

*facepalm*

I received an aussie lager extract kit from some relatives for christmas. I was very happy to get this, even though I brew AG. I know it wasnt cheap and will be brewing it up today. I read the instructions to see what temp I should lager at, but the kit includes ale yeast :smack: This was not a commercial kit, but one that the LHBS put together. You would think they would know better!

I received an aussie lager extract kit from some relatives for christmas. I was very happy to get this, even though I brew AG. I know it wasnt cheap and will be brewing it up today. I read the instructions to see what temp I should lager at, but the kit includes ale yeast :smack: This was not a commercial kit, but one that the LHBS put together. You would think they would know better!

'Aussie Lager"ish" Ale'? :confused:

Ale yeast is correct. It is a pseudo lager.

My boss went to the doctor back in November or December -- for the same thing, sinus infection -- and found out his cholesterol and blood pressure was through the roof. To the point the DR banned him from exercise until he could lose 15 lbs (and almost forbid him from marital relations). She explicitly told him to start drinking at least one beer a day, and if he could get into more craft beers (he's a straight-up BMC drinker; I think I've seen him crack something other than a Bud Light once in the decade I've known him), that would be better.

He told her his wife wouldn't believe him, so she actually sent a note home with him saying "Brian is to have one or two beers every night after work" (Even said if he skips a night, to go ahead and have 3 or 4 the next night)

Can you give us the Dr's name and address? I think I'm due for a check-up.

Can you give us the Dr's name and address? I think I'm due for a check-up.

no joke! I need a new Dr. mine's all like, "Sir, you can't show up to your appointment drunk." and then I'm all like, "You best shut yer hole & get me some cigars, sissy pants!"

Today at the heb (grocery store) they were doing samples of the o'mission pale ale. I asked what is special about it and they said "we figured out how to make it gluten free by substituting all the hops for something else, the brewers won't tell us what it is" I asked, "oh so hops have gluten in them not the barley?" They paused a moment and said "well they substituted for the hops so must be no gluten in barley". I thought it was pretty funny having a rep give misinformation. Made me chuckle, they didn't understand why I was smiling so big, wasn't a bad sample either, wonder what the secret gluten free hop substitute is!?!?

Today at the heb (grocery store) they were doing samples of the o'mission pale ale. I asked what is special about it and they said "we figured out how to make it gluten free by substituting all the hops for something else, the brewers won't tell us what it is" I asked, "oh so hops have gluten in them not the barley?" They paused a moment and said "well they substituted for the hops so must be no gluten in barley". I thought it was pretty funny having a rep give misinformation. Made me chuckle, they didn't understand why I was smiling so big, wasn't a bad sample either, wonder what the secret gluten free hop substitute is!?!?

Must be a tablespoon of stupidity per bottle.

At a restaurant bar last night I was looking at their bottle/can selection and saw Brewer's Art Ozzy. I hadn't tried it before so asked the bartender what style it was. "Oh it's a light pale ale". Ok, sure I'll try it. I did a doubletake after my first sip when I was expecting a hoppy pale and was treated instead to a very good Belgian Strong. I'm pretty happy she was wrong because I really enjoyed that beer, but probably would've chosen something else had I known what it was.

At a restaurant bar last night I was looking at their bottle/can selection and saw Brewer's Art Ozzy. I hadn't tried it before so asked the bartender what style it was. "Oh it's a light pale ale". Ok, sure I'll try it. I did a doubletake after my first sip when I was expecting a hoppy pale and was treated instead to a very good Belgian Strong. I'm pretty happy she was wrong because I really enjoyed that beer, but probably would've chosen something else had I known what it was.

Most of the timw a good waitress that knows beer seems to require a marriage proposal

From Instagram. Not about beer specifically, but beer related.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390152657.946831.jpg
Now read the first comment.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390152709.231570.jpg
I didn't realize hops and grain looked so much alike. ;)

Back