New Copper Immersion Chiller, How To Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
Just built myself a 25' IC out of 1/2" OD copper. The build itself was super easy and took all of about 25 minutes to do. It works well and I plan to use it this weekend. How should I go about cleaning it prior to its first use? I was just going to boil it in my brew kettle for a half hour or so sometime this week. Any other ideas??

I was told to take a green scrubby to it in the sink with some cleaner, rinse well, and then soak in Starsan or a 5 gallon solution with 1/2 cup white vinegar.
Rinse after soaking again. Suppose to come out like a new shiny penny.

just using it in the wort will keep it shiney. spray it with a hose after use is all you have to do. also vinegar will take off oxidation. you shouldnt have to clean it at all as long as you rinse it right after use and dont let it get all ****ty. i never clean mine unless there are dried on hop particles or i drop it in the dirt.

Back