Does Gelatin smell like Fertilizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Just made up a little gelatin and it smells like some fertilizer. It is knox. Smells terrible. I figure that it must be in there always, but man it is potent. I will find out really soon what it smells like tomorrow when I do or don't bottle up my Apple Cider.

That is all.

Ironically that is what I smell. Just like that. Makes me really not want to eat jello if that is what the base is going to smell like. I have used gelatin before and I don't for the life of me remember that smell.

we discontinued using gelatin after the first time cause of the smell. i dont think it affected the beer, but i just dont care to add something that smells like that to our beer. i get more of a dead animal/rotting corpse smell from it rather than fertilizer/poo.

Just made up a little gelatin and it smells like some fertilizer. It is knox. Smells terrible. I figure that it must be in there always, but man it is potent. I will find out really soon what it smells like tomorrow when I do or don't bottle up my Apple Cider.

That is all.

Some reason why Whirlfloc isn't cutting it?
Cheap easy and clean.

Here is what I found:
Bernard Jensen's gelatin does not smell, plus it is all bovine. It can be found at Radient Life company online.
Also...Knox didn't smell back when Nabisco owned them. I don't trust Kraft (their current parent company), they are owned by Phillip Morris or whatever they are calling themselves now. I recently was consuming gelatin for health reasons (sprain), and ran out of Bernard Jensen's and had to run out and buy Knox's while waiting for my Jensen's to come through the mail. Anyway, yuk/disgusting! I became quite uncompliant because it is very difficult to mask. This is where it is interesting to me: Last night I was in my kitchen and found some old Knox gelatin and smelled it from when Nabisco owned them. It didn't smell when I opened the package, when I bloomed it, but when I drank it in tea, it smell very slightly. However, I can drink Bernard's in plain water! It is just different in texture, NO smell. It does clump easier, and may not be as strong, but to me that probably means it is less tampered with during processing. Also, it is cheaper!

Back