Woops...... he shoots he scores (in a bad way)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
So I was putting a batch of the Northern Brewer Chinook IPA into a keg this morning, and proving that anything which can go wrong will go wrong - I was standing there, watching the beer siphon from the fermentor to the keg, reach in my pocket, take out a nicorette lozenger, go to put it in my mouth, and drop it right in the keg. If you gave me a bucket of lozengers and a gun to my head, I probably couldn't purposely throw one in.
I grab a long handle stainless steal spoon, quickly sanitize it, and try and fish it out, no luck.
The lozenger is supposed to disolve, and is made to be ingested. So I don't think it will do anything bad to you.
I'm not worried as much about the nicotine in it - it is 2 milligrams. Even if somehow it all got into a single beer, not enough to do anything. and spread out over 5 gallons, it is moot.
It does have a mint flavor. Not overpowering, and again such a small amount over 5 gallons, I'm hoping it won't have any effect.
If I had to do it over again, I probably would have put my entire arm in there, and tried to grab it out. By my thought at the time was that I didn't want to get an infection in the beer.
Anyone have any idea how this is going to turn out? I looked on google - besides a couple of people purposely putting nicotine into beer to try and create a new product, didn't find much.
anyone want to bet if it will have any effect at all?
I'm not going to dump the batch, and it is carbing now. So in a week or so we will know what effect if anything it will have.
Anyone have a prediction?

For those playing along at home - the correct answer was - "No difference".
I have never brewed Chinook IPA before, so I don't have much to compare it too, but I tried some of it, and it was delicious, so I don't think it is making any difference.
Interesting "experiment" though

Back