anyone try the surly furious clone...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a brewery from brooklyn park MN (10min from my house) there IPA (furious) is unbelievable with its strong hop flavor and a twist of citrus to it! really good if your into IPA's! Check em out! its probably surlybeer.com??????????

Its Fing amazing just unbeliveable how good that clone is. and the website is Untitled Document I love that place and their beer my fave is coffee bender bender and darkness which btw sold for 175 bucks on ebay for a 750ml bottle.

The Midwest clone is really good. Mine is just now over a month old in the bottles and it's already quite tasty and very close to the original.

We had an IPA tasting night with our brewclub. Furious was a part of it. One of the members brought it back form a business trip.
Man, was that nice. I actually preferred it to Pliny the Elder.

I will have to brew that clone recipe, as I cannot get Furious here in CA.

I brewed Midwest's ferocious IPA, which is the clone of the Surly Furious. It was the all grain version, and it came out incredible. With 3 oz of dry hopping, it took a couple weeks to settle down once I kegged it, but after about two weeks in the keg and fully carbonated it is the best beer I've brewed yet. I then went to the Surly tour this weekend when I was in Minneapolis, and the one I brewed was very close to the Furious. Mine was missing a little of the malt character, but I was having a little thermometer problem and might have been a degree low on my mash. I'm going to mash at 153 next time to see if some of the non-fermentables come through more.

Either way, it definatley is a kit that is worth it at $33.

Can you post the recipe?
Is that "legal"?

If it is I can scan it, copy paste, something it.

I just bought that kit last weekend and plan on brewing it this weekend (all grain). I have heard that it just amazing! It is great to hear others singing its praises. It is probably one of my favorite ipa's.

It list the ingredients, some of which are not even what I got in my kit, (I got warrior for my bittering hops and ahantum for aroma and flavoring), and it does not give the hop schedule.......
If the powers that be say it is not a copyright violation, or something else bad, I will put up the instructions and ingredients that I got.

I believe that sharing a recipe is not a copyright violation. Scanning a document that is copyrighted and sharing probably would be though. Either way, I seriously doubt that they copyrighted it in the first place. It's not even their beer to begin with! It's OK though, I can get the gist of it from the Midwest website. Thanks.

Hey that is cool.
Mash all of the grains at 152 for 1 hour
1 oz warrior for 60 min
1/5 oz. Amarillo and Simcoe at 20 min
1/5 oz. Amarillo and Simcoe at 15 min
1/5 oz. Amarillo and Simcoe at 10 min
1/5 oz. Amarillo and Simcoe at 5 min
1/5 oz. Amarillo and Simcoe at 0 min

Dry hop with:
1 oz. of Ahtanum, 1 oz. of Amarillo, 1 oz. of Simcoe

The hop schedule is the only goofy thing about the recipe.
The midwest link had all of the correct grains.

I've read of people fermenting this with US-05 as well. Now do you think Nottingham might fare? Assuming I could find any....

I believe that sharing a recipe is not a copyright violation. Scanning a document that is copyrighted and sharing probably would be though. Either way, I seriously doubt that they copyrighted it in the first place. It's not even their beer to begin with! It's OK though, I can get the gist of it from the Midwest website. Thanks.

This is 100% correct.

From the research I've done, the only way you can copyright a recipe/process is if it is a normal process that produces non-normal results.

I was able to pick some of this up while visiting in Minneapolis. It is currently my favorite beer. The can says 99 IBU's. Per my tools, the hops above are not enough to reach that number, only 52 or so. Are they being optimistic, or am I missing something?

Dave

I was able to pick some of this up while visiting in Minneapolis. It is currently my favorite beer. The can says 99 IBU's. Per my tools, the hops above are not enough to reach that number, only 52 or so. Are they being optimistic, or am I missing something?

Dave

Funny you mentioned this- we were sampling the two side by side and the first thing we noticed was how much less bitter the clone was. Otherwise spot on. I looked a few days later, and noticed the same thing you did about the IBU's. With the AA in the hops I had, it came up to about 60, still way below what surly states on their cans. I think one more oz of simcoe at 30 minutes would take care of that. Maybe adjust the 60 minute addition? That should also do the trick.

Reviving an old thread i know.
The Furious extract kit from midwest says 82 IBUs.
Same amount of hops as listed above.
Still optimistic ?

Back