Would you bottle if your hydro looked like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the recipe. More specifically, the amount of unfermentables. We need more info. Did you have an expected FG from a recipe or brewing software? How long has it been since you pitched?

First things first, you need to get that hydro off the side of the tube.

Try spinning it after you put it in.

What yeast did you use? Starter? What kind of beer? OG? Lots of additional info needed.

What kind of yeast? What temperature is that sample? (and a new pic not stuck to the side as pseudo says)

I can guess right now a consensus will be to give it more time just to be sure.

Grab another sample tomorrow so you can see if it is steady.

Looks like about 1.017 after temp adjustment. It's possible it's done, but without recipe specifics you can't be sure of unfermentables.

I recommend leaving it another week to be sure. If you are too impatient, at least wait until tomorrow so you can take another sample and see if it has changed.

EDIT: just looked at your OG. Unless I'm doing the math wrong, that 77% attenuation. You're probably done, but my above advice still stands.

You could. It would be better to allow a beer around 3 weeks before bottling for better taste.

I'm notoriously bad about checking OG as i usually drink beer while brewing and forget almost every time to check it. i usually bottle about a week after the fermentation stops just for good measure but always check my FG multiple times to be sure its done. way i figure is all im missing is being able to calculate my ABV

I do the same. Drink whilebrewing and forget to take OG before putting the lid on primary. Additionally, I can't seem to stop myself from adding slightly to each recipie-- thinking, "well, that's sounds a little too hoppy for me" or "hummm... adding an extra pound of crystal steeped grain might really improve the body of this beer." So who knows what my final gravity should actually be. I've been following 1-2-3 method as far as time goes and seems all is ok so far. For me, it seems the hydrometer's only purpose is seeing if it is stady for a few days before I bottle. Maybe it takes more experience before the hydrometer use makes sense. This is only my 5th batch of beer.

so here's the ultimate newb question: Once you have stasis with your hydro, it's time to bottle.

Not necessarily. For several reasons, some yeasts may stop fermenting before the final gravity is reached. Factors such as too cool a ferment, too little oxygen, too little nutrients are just a few of things that could go wrong. However, the rule that you are ready to bottle after the specific gravity has remained the same for a period of time is generally true assuming that the ferment went 'well'.

All other things equal, the original gravity of the wort, the fermentability of the wort (you can increase gravity of a wort using unfermentables) and the expected attenuation of the brand of yeast are the primary contributing factors in how low your final gravity will go.

The formula for calculating attenuation is to divide the number of points the gravity dropped by the original gravity points. So if your original gravity was 1.050 and your latest reading is 1.016 then:

1.050 - 1.016 = 0.034

Then just take the big whole numbers (34) and divide by (50) times 100 for 68% attenuation.

You then compare that percentage to the percentage expected attenuation for the yeast (you have to look it up on the manufacturers website).

Back