Found some hops at a nice price online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffie

Reaction score
I ordered.

Fuggle Domestic Pellets 2035LD 1 12.00 Option(s) = B. 1 lb (+9)
(Will ship within 24
hours)
Kent Goldings (UK) 2053LD 1 13.00 Option(s) = B. 1 lb (+10)
Imported Pellets
(Will ship within 24
hours)
Yakima Magnum Domestic 2098LD 1 12.00 Option(s) = B. 1 lb (+9)
Pellets
(Will ship within 24
hours)
Saaz (Czech) Imported 2080LD 1 14.00 Option(s) = B. 1 lb (+11)
Pellets
(Will ship within 24
hours)
Subtotal 51.00
Shipping 20.16
Tax 0.00
Total 71.16

I added it up and with shipping I'm paying like $1.11 per oz which I think is not bad. At least I think so looking around the Seattle area.
I got the food saver and will be doing double vac pacs on them and into the deep freeze.

I'm now a happy brewer...

Forgot, here is the link http://www.makewinebeer.com

find out if you can get mylar bags for that foodsaver. regular plastic is not an O2 barrier from what I have read and mylar is. I have a foodsaver also and have thought about longterm storage in the freezer but if its going to be longterm then it should be an O2 barrier not just a plastic bag.

Wow awesome prices. I would be careful if you are paying by credit card. It did not appear as if the credit card entry page was secure. Maybe paypal or calling in your order would be better.

Wow awesome prices. I would be careful if you are paying by credit card. It did not appear as if the credit card entry page was secure. Maybe paypal or calling in your order would be better.

I also found that the link posted by the OP did not work with paypal. However going to the following url provided an https checkout, and worked with paypal.

This links to the same site.

http://www.hamiltonhomebrew.com/

I also hope thst it is not some kind of scam. If so, well they got my allowance for this week!

I do keep an eye in my bank statements.
Its a good habit.

Has anyone called these guys yet? Something here doesn't seem right. How can they have 44 lb bales of everything? I'm calling them later on today before I order.

find out if you can get mylar bags for that foodsaver. regular plastic is not an O2 barrier from what I have read and mylar is. I have a foodsaver also and have thought about longterm storage in the freezer but if its going to be longterm then it should be an O2 barrier not just a plastic bag.
By design, Foodsaver bags have to be oxygen barriers. Otherwise they wouldn't hold a vacuum.

They show a pound of Amarillo pellets (my favorite, and I have not seen them all year) for $15 (less than a dollar an ounce, for the math-impaired). I can't help but wonder if they really have them. They are about an hour drive from me - I may call them and ask if they are in stock.

Edit - I called their store. No Amarillo in stock, and only sold by the ounce from retail, but was told that "they should have them" if I ordered them. It's too good of a deal to pass up - please post when you get the shipments because I can't pass this up if it is on the level. Oh, and the payment part of the site appears superficially at least to be secure - the prefix is https anyway.

A pound of cascade for $7? What is up... is this for real? Are these quality hops? Something doesnt seem right... how can they do this?

OH, shipping is $20... well that makes a HUGE difference.

EDIT EDIT... well I can get 4lbs for $59. That is impressive, let me know what sort of service and what sort of hops yall get from these folks. I may have to stock up, food save, and freeze in the deep freeze!

I do check / debt card. If all goes bad I fill out a dispute form and in 1 week get my money back. PayPal is nice but I don't think its guarded like MasterCard or Visa is.

Just ordered 3lbs of Columbus. It's kinda strange how the prices don't add up on the web site. They have a listed price per lb and a number in () which usually means a discount but they don't add up.

Just ordered 3lbs of Columbus. It's kinda strange how the prices don't add up on the web site. They have a listed price per lb and a number in () which usually means a discount but they don't add up.

It looks like the number in () is what is added to the per oz. price to get the per lb. price. For example, if it's $3/oz and the lb price shows (+8), it's $11/lb or $.69/oz.

Three ounces of leaf Centennial, one ounce of leaf Perle, one ounce of leaf Cascade, and one ounce of pellet Fuggles. $18. Woot. The hop bill for my next two brews is taken care of...

Thanks for the link.

I wouldn't be too happy just yet. Last night I ordered three pounds, and paid via Paypal. Today I get this email:

sorry - we do not have everything you need in stock due to the hop shortage.

What I can provide are the following...

Crystal
Centennial
Saaz
Liberty
Millenium
Willamette
Salina
Cascasde
Phoenix
Fuggel Domestic
Kent Golding
Challenger
Magnum

I can provide them in 1oz packets and there is a 5 oz limit on each order.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Tom

I wouldn't be too happy just yet. Last night I ordered three pounds, and paid via Paypal. Today I get this email:

I knew this was too good to be true...

I guess a 5 oz limit at those prices is still better than some places.

If they drop you down to 5oz... do you have to pay the original $3 per oz? I replied to the email but haven't gotten a response yet; I assume he got a LOT of requests for this.

I just got the same e-mail. Oh well, it did get me all excited and gave me something to talk about for about 18 hours.....

Received the same email:

Hello William,

sorry - we do not have everything you need in stock due to the hop
shortage.

What I can provide are the following...

Crystal
Centennial
Saaz
Liberty
Millenium
Willamette
Salina
Cascasde
Phoenix
Fuggel Domestic
Kent Golding
Challenger
Magnum

I can provide them in 1oz packets and there is a 5 oz limit on each
order.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Tom

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I saw this thread when it first got posted, and I suspected something was not right. As much as I'd like to think that there are some clueless retailers out there sitting on a mountain of cheap hops, I highly doubt such a mirage exists.

Well my whole order will be in tomorrow. all 4lbs.
I think since I like the more common hops is why I got mine filled.

So he's filling your order but limiting everyone else to 5oz? really? :confused:

The only email I got is Here is your UPS tracking number thx for the order. Nothing else. So tomorrow I'll know.

Here is the email I got:

Thank you again for your order from Rubino's Homemade Wine & Beer Supply. http://www.makewinebeer.com

The following items have been shipped to:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

using UPS Ground

The shipper's tracking number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can always find out the current status of your order by going to
https://order.store.yahoo.com/OS/stat?yhst-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Name Code Qty Each Options
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fuggle Domestic Pellets 2035LD 1 12.00 Option(s) = B. 1 lb (+9)
(Shipped)
UPS Tracking Number:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kent Goldings (UK) 2053LD 1 13.00 Option(s) = B. 1 lb (+10)
Imported Pellets
(Shipped)
UPS Tracking Number:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yakima Magnum Domestic 2098LD 1 12.00 Option(s) = B. 1 lb (+9)
Pellets
(Shipped)
UPS Tracking Number:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Saaz (Czech) Imported 2080LD 1 14.00 Option(s) = B. 1 lb (+11)
Pellets
(Shipped)
UPS Tracking Number:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subtotal 51.00
Shipping 20.16
Tax 0.00
Total 71.16

This completes your order. Thank you for shopping with us.

Its the $3 per oz rate; I just got an email confirming that.... So if my math serves it is going to be $15 for hops (5 oz limit) and $20 for shipping; what a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back