Muntons Can Kit Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
Its brew day again tomorrow I was wondering how to brew the can kit please...

Am about to brew a Muntons Premium Lager Can 1.5kg, with BrewCraft #15 Lager Enhancer 1kg (dextrose, malt ext, corn syrup), and Saflager dry lager yeast S-23 11.5g.

The OG for just the can says 1036-1040. Yeast temp says 11-24 degs C but 11-15 degs C best.

Am wondering if its best to boil the can kit/extract first or not? Iv heard that these kits have already been boiled and you dont need to as it stuffs the hops.l The can says to add can to fermenter just with hot water and no boil, but book says with cans its best to boil in pot for an hour.

Also with this yeast , should I sprinkle it on top like it says, or put in warm water first for ten min? I shud throw the can kit yeast out? Have never used a seperate yeast or a lager yeast.

Sorry lots of questions.... :cross:

You shouldn't boil a no-boil kit, unless you plan on adding hops. The pre-hopped kits are already boiled, so there is no need for you to boil it. If you did boil it, you'd drive off all the hops aroma and flavor unless you added your own. If you'd like to get into boiling your wort, you should use unhopped malt extract and purchase the hops you'd like to use. (Look at the recipe database for ideas, or try a kit like Brewer's Best kits).

I've never used a dry lager yeast, so I'm not sure what the package says. It's probably best to follow the package directions if you're unsure. I rehydrate my dry yeast according to the directions on the yeast package.

Well here goes.... added can/extract and water to fermenter, pitched yeast at 15 degs C. Range is 11-24 degs C (best 11-15 degs C). I have the fermenter in 3-4 inches cold water with ice packs, with wet t shirt on fermenter in a v.dark room... gonna be a mission keeping it cool though! OG was 1046

I did the same thing as Kiwi was going to do. My first brew I followed the directions. I got my wort up to boiling, and then I let it boil for 20 mins. When I was at my HBS I mentioned that to the shopkeep and he said "Oh no, you never boil the kits. Just get it up to 185 degrees, then cut the heat" So that's what I did this time and it was a HUGE time saver.

Its been a day or so now, the beer is fermenting away slowly and is pretty cool. So now I have another question lol ... after 2-3 weeks the lager I asume and hope will be fully fermented. I need to keep it cool the whole time it ferments i asume?

I was wondering... since I am not going to do a secondary, do I need to keep it cool after week 3? For example, if I choose to leave the lager in primary for a couple of weeks after it has fermented? If not what temp iis best? And how long is recomended?

This is my first real lager with lager yeast :)

solidghost said:
What temp does your lager yeast says? Follow it and you should be fine.

It says 11-15 degs best, but 11-24 degs C yeast works. Do I keep in the same temp range even after fermentation has finished? EG secondary but in primary

Back