Wow, a beer list!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
For all of the bad experiece posts there should be good experience posts...

Last night SWMBO and I went to a local seafood place we've never been to. I wasn't expecting to find any good beer or anything but I noticed when we walked in a beer cooler that looked pretty well stocked. I did a quick glance and saw SNPA. Cool.

Then we sit down and I see they have a beer list split up by country. Germany, Belgium, Colorado (yeah Colorado!), and England just to name a few.

So I order the SNPA when the waitress says:

"We also have some of the Celebration left. It's their Christmas beer, it's a bit darker and much hoppier. Their on sale for $2 a bottle."

My jaw dropped. How cool is that for a dingy little seafood shack? Sometimes the coolest things happen when you least expect it....

It's always fun to stumble onto some nice beer finds when you go out to new places....

Having said that, I very much disliked SN's Celebration. First time I've tried it (in '07), and to be fair I'm a malt fan, gradually warming up to the bitter beers, but generally I don't like them......

It's cool that you can get that in Texas though although it's barely a state away---I have a VERY hard time finding anything more than Sam Adams and beers from the one major micro brewery in KS (which is actually in Kansas City , MO) here.

My jaw dropped. How cool is that.......
....... a waitress that knows about beer!

No doubt. Usually they say something like "It's a dark beer. It looks like motor oil"

My last time out to eat I asked which style of a particular brand they had. The waiter looked at me confused and after a long pause said, "It's in a brown bottle."

anoldur said:
My last time out to eat I asked which style of a particular brand they had. The waiter looked at me confused and after a long pause said, "It's in a brown bottle."

:cross: :cross:

I went to an "Irish" bar in St. Augustine once, complete with a shamrock on the window. I asked for a Guinness and the waitress said that she's never even poured one before. She filled up the glass and asked if it "looked right". lol

I guess I should have known better when the only beer on tap was Bud and Guinness. :confused:

I would have much rather stumbled into that seafood place. ;)

About my best encounter was going into some bar well off the main street in Bridgetown, Barbados. Some dude selling necklaces on the street gave us directions. They had Guinness Foreign Extra Stout for $1.50. We hung around for a little while and made bar buddies with the locals.

I get excited anytime I go anywhere where anyone working there is interested in the beer they have and getting better stuff.

TL

Sweet! There's finally a place around here that has something other than Killians and BMC swill on tap. I'm very happy to report that I can now sit down at a bar in my hometown and order a GLBC Burning River PA...they have a decent selection of bottles as well.

We went out to dinner at a little tavern near the mother-in-law's house, out in the Finger Lakes region (wine country) in upstate NY.

Had to take a picture...

4050-IMG_5907.JPG

That wasn't even all of it, not even close. PHENEOMENAL, we shall be returning!

:drunk: Anyone ever been to Old Chicago? Pizza is good but there 150 + Beers on tap from all over the world is better!

I had completed the Oktoberfest there and man was I DRUNK!!! But it was worth the T-Shirt that they give you. I wear it with honor. Colorado Springs. Colorado.:drunk:

I found a diamond in the rough as well in my town (Naples, FL) at a small Italian restaurant called Giovanni's. I had been there numerous times before but never thought to <gasp> order beer there - always drank wine. I did a tour of Belgium (Duvel, Delirium Tremens, Delirium Nocturnum) but stopped the tour short so I could drive home...

Here is a pdf of the menu... giovannis-beerlist.pdf

This was an exciting find because South Florida has very little to offer a beer fan!

fezzman said:
I went to an "Irish" bar in St. Augustine once, complete with a shamrock on the window. I asked for a Guinness and the waitress said that she's never even poured one before. She filled up the glass and asked if it "looked right". lol

I guess I should have known better when the only beer on tap was Bud and Guinness. :confused:

I would have much rather stumbled into that seafood place. ;)

Yes, reminds me of when I went to the Tavern attached to a huge liquor - wine- beer store with a huge selection and the waitress pronounced it "Genius" Well done.

the_bird said:
We went out to dinner at a little tavern near the mother-in-law's house, out in the Finger Lakes region (wine country) in upstate NY.

Had to take a picture...

4050-IMG_5907.JPG

That wasn't even all of it, not even close. PHENEOMENAL, we shall be returning!

That's a nice looking list! I've got a place I like to go that has a list very close to that....around 125 beers on tap or in bottles. I love having choices, but my problem is that I am a severe cheapskate and have a _VERY_ hard time ponying up $7 or $10 for one good beer....

I know, I'm the same... but that was a trip when we decided to pretend we were adults for a little while! No kids (Cassie was with the MIL), doing wine tastings all day... and after all the coin we dropped at the wineries, $7 for a pint wasn't that big a deal... ;)

Recently went to a local Thai restaurant. I had been there a couple times previously but never even looked at the drink menu because most Asian restaurants I have been to, you are lucky to have Bud in a bottle. Well I was surprised to see most of the Great Lakes beers as well as a decent selection of other micros. I'd say the had a better selection than 90% of the restaurants in the area.
Ofcourse they didn't have anything on tap and the waitress knew nothing about beer but that would have been way too much to expect.
When I want to try new beers at a restaurant I can always go to the Winking Lizard. They have a world beer tour (100 beers) plus several seasonal and special selections. The food is pretty good also. May not match the best places from Colorado or the west coast but not bad for a small chain in blue collar Cleveland.
Craig

gutbucket said:
'Fess up - Andy...Which place are you talking about??

Blackbeard's over on North Beach. Food was good too! The even had an open mic going with a guy doing Beatles songs.

It was a cool, cheap little place. I'll definatly be back

SWMBO and I took a trip to Texas last week to visit the town in which we'll soon be living. I've been there before, so I took her to one of the only places there where you can get a decent steak. The drink order went something like this:

Me: "What's on tap?"
Waitress: "Coor's Light, Bud, Bud Light, Shiner, Dos Equis..."
Me: "Ok, what do you have in bottles then?"
Waitress: "Oh, we have EVERYTHING in bottles!"
Me: "Can you list a few for me, please?"
Waitress: "Coor's Light, Bud, Bud Light, Shiner, Dos Equis..."
Me (biting my tongue): "Umm...I guess I'll have a Dos Equis...draft..."

Things there haven't changed a bit.

I did get to try a SN Celebration for the first time during the same trip (from a dusty shelf in the back of a cooler). Not bad! I have a few left, and I think I'll go crack one open!

Back