Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale? help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jah

Reaction score
I would like to brew a partial mash version of this seemingly mythical beer but have a few questions. When Ed says he pitches the yeast with no hydration or starter does this mean he goes directly into the carboy(don't let it sit in 80 degree for a while) because ive always been told not to do this. It also seems like he doesnt even rack to secondary. Would it hurt to rack to a secondary rather than crash cooling it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

the yeast is dry nottingham - no need for a starter. now a lot of people will suggest that you rehydrate but i've never bothered and it's never been an issue - i tihnk it just cuts down the lag time a bit but the dry yeast gets pretty hydrated pretty quick when you chuck it into 5+ gallons of wort.

i'll let someone who's actually brewed this recipe respond to the secondary question!

PS: i'm looking to make this at some point, would like to see your PM recipe when you have it!

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

i intend on using the mlt i made for partial mashes, in any case it sounds like a winner to me:mug:

Ed kegs his beers so the keg itself acts as the secondary. If you rack to a secondary carboy after fermentation is complete(use that hydrometer!), the rest of the sediment will fall out of suspension and you'll be left with a nice clear beer.

If you can cool it any way at all during the secondary period(7-10 days), it will work even better. I just put mine in the garage during the winter.

ah - forgot that the PM recipe was right in the recipe thread. i've been looking at doing EdWort's kolsch as well and got confused!

blacklab said:
Ed kegs his beers so the keg itself acts as the secondary. If you rack to a secondary carboy after fermentation is complete(use that hydrometer!), the rest of the sediment will fall out of suspension and you'll be left with a nice clear beer.

If you can cool it any way at all during the secondary period(7-10 days), it will work even better. I just put mine in the garage during the winter.

So you want secondaries too be cool? I just left mine in the same area as my primary at 66-68*F while dry hopping

I have made that one a few times.

Have a batch going right now. The plan is three weeks in primary. Then rack to serving keg or bottle.

Piece of cake.

For temp control, if you can run the high krausen fast bubbly phase at 60-65°F.

Once the bubble slow down let it sit around 70 or so.

Jah said:
I would like to brew a partial mash version of this seemingly mythical beer but have a few questions. When Ed says he pitches the yeast with no hydration or starter does this mean he goes directly into the carboy(don't let it sit in 80 degree for a while) because ive always been told not to do this. It also seems like he doesnt even rack to secondary. Would it hurt to rack to a secondary rather than crash cooling it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jah,

That Nottingham yeast is very resilient and will take off without problems. As for racking to secondary, there seems to be a debate about whether or not it's a vital step. Basically, if you want a clear beer, use some whirfloc and do a secondary (if you can get it cold at some point, even better). Otherwise, if you don't mind a little haze, doing a longer primary and skipping secondary is just fine and the effects on the beer are negligible.

This recipe is so easy and solid that you can basically do anything to it, barring sanitation issues, and you're going to come out with a tasty beer.

I have one question - since I recently made it with an extract mod, I lost out on the Vienna. What flavor characteristics am I losing out on?

I steeped 1/4lb Carapils with the 1/2lb Crystal 10L just to add a little something to the beer since I was missing the Vienna and had the Carapils left over, but I really don't know what I'm doing :p

NitrouStang96 said:
I have one question - since I recently made it with an extract mod, I lost out on the Vienna. What flavor characteristics am I losing out on?

I steeped 1/4lb Carapils with the 1/2lb Crystal 10L just to add a little something to the beer since I was missing the Vienna and had the Carapils left over, but I really don't know what I'm doing :p

It will be beer. It isn't EdWort's Haus Pale.

:) Bad n00b, no biscuit. :)

:mug:

NitrouStang96 said:

Here's a generally helpful chart on malt charachteristics: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

Unfortunately, it doesn't say much about Vienna.

Ok, so I should steep more Crystal next time in place of the Vienna, instead of the Carapils...

NitrouStang96 said:
Ok, so I should steep more Crystal next time in place of the Vienna, instead of the Carapils...

You should really seek out the Vienna. It works beautifully. You want I should pick some up for you when I go to my LHBS on Saturday? It is only a buck, maybe a buck fifty a pound. Not sure about shipping from Dallas...

Home Brew Mart says they have it. http://www.homebrewmart.com/homebrew-supplies/grain.htm . Here is the map: http://www.homebrewmart.com/directions_maplv.htm

Yeah, I went there for the supplies to make the batch, but the sign on the bucket said "MASH ONLY" ... Next time I'll get it, but I need to know how much to steep in order to get comparable flavors that you get from mashing.

Back