Is this Boddington's pub ale recipe legit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmance

Reaction score
I usually take information I find on the internet as the word of god. But before I take this to my LHBS to assemble the ingredients....think it looks like something that would resemble boddingtons less the awesome nitro goodness?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.20 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3Grain 91.04 %
0.25 lb Caramel Malt - 55L (55.0 SRM) Grain 3.67 %
0.03 lb Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (660.0 SRM) Grain 0.44 %
0.90 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.25 oz Whitbread Golding Variety (WGV) [6.00 %] Hops 0.8 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.33 lb Invert Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.85 %
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.48 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 9.07 qt of water at 160.1 F 150.0 F

Notes:
------
prime using: 2/3 cup corn sugar to 2 cup water

This shouldn't be a hard beer to brew, getting it to taste similar to the real stuff is where the difficulties are. Your first recipe looks pretty good actually, although there are some changes I would suggest. First, the yeast you want for this beer is WY1318 London III, as it is the Boddies yeast and it will give the beer a slight residual sweetness without it under attenuating. This is key. Also, I would consider using a 25 or 35L British crystal malt instead of the 55L, as the former will give you more toffee flavors than the darker stuff. Also, I would increase the amount of crystal closer to 5-8%, if you do use the 25-35L. The amount of black malt looks spot on.

As for hopping, you can simplify the hop additions greatly, as your mostly looking for a soft bitterness and maybe a touch of aroma. A simple 60 min and flameout addition would be fine, for around 18-22 IBU ideally. Fuggles and EKG would work great.

While the invert syrup would be fine, it really isn't needed and I would just skip it and add a 1/2lb more base malt. 5% sugar isn't going to have much of any impact on the flavor. However, subbing that for Lyles Golden Syrup would be nice, if you are so inclined.

Lastly, regardless of yeast choice (especially with 1318 though) be sure you pitch the yeast at a lower temp (62-64F) and don't let the ferment temp get much higher than 68F. You don't want the yeast to produce a lot of fruity esters.

Good luck with the brew.

I'm also developing a Boddington's recipe (partial mash)... have yet to brew it, but hopefully soon.

I would note that there's a Boddington's Bitter (3.8%?), Pub Ale (higher ABV at 4.6%), and the Cask version that Orfy was cloning.

If you're going after the Pub Ale, you'd want a higher SG. Add some more base malt or Lyle's Golden syrup (I'm using a pound) and hops to balance it out. I started my recipe for Austin Home Brew's clone. I'm also shooting for 30ish IBU.

I'm going to put my on nitro, so I'm wondering if I should change my recipe a little since I think the nitro adds body...

Back