Help! Johnson's A419 Controller (using 24vac version w/ a 120vac Mini Fridge))

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff

Reaction score
Hello!

So.. I was at a garage sale last week and saw a new in box Johnson's a419 temp controller. It was $30 which i thought was a good deal at the time, but I failed to realize it wasn't the 120vac version, it is the 24vac version. Luckily before I wired it to 120v I noticed it was the GBF version and not the ABC.

My question is can I still use this to controller a mini fridge kegerator? My original plan was to chop an extension cord and wire it to the controller then plug the fridge into that. But since its not 120v I don't know if that is still possible.

Can I get a 120vac to 24vac transformer or something and wire that in? If so can anyone guide me on how to go about that? I have very basic electronics knowledge, I should be able to follow instruction but coming up with the idea on my own is the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping one of your HBT guru's out there can save my behind again as usual.. :cross:

I tried searching but wasn't able to find this specific problem. Hope I didn't just invest in another paperweight.

Here is the controller and wiring diagram:

100_0093.jpg

100_0091.jpg

Thanks for any responses!

I think that the work you would need to do to the controller would be more trouble then just Ebaying it and getting the correct unit. In order to make it work you would need a transformer to step the 110v down to 24v. Then you would use the 24v signal to control a relay that switched the 110v. I have seen the correct unit on ebay for around $45 shipped

You might check lowes for the power supply. 24 vac is a common power supply for underground sprinkler systems.

Hope this helps.

I think that the work you would need to do to the controller would be more trouble then just Ebaying it and getting the correct unit. In order to make it work you would need a transformer to step the 110v down to 24v. Then you would use the 24v signal to control a relay that switched the 110v. I have seen the correct unit on ebay for around $45 shipped

Ah yeah ok. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth it unless I can find a free/cheap transformer. I'll probably just put it on ebay, thanks for the response.

I don't think that the internal relay on that would handle switching 110v. If you can find the specs for the internal relay and scan it. Then I could tell you. If it did you could use the doorbell transformer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Con...802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337bcd9572

The manual says the Relay Electrical Ratings for the 24v model are: 100 VA, 30 VAC Maximum, Class 2

so yeah doesn't sound like it would withstand the voltage without buying another relay too. Well time to dust off the old ebay account lol. Thanks

Latest posts

Back