Selling Home Brew in Stores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FellowCrony

Reaction score
Besides making the capital investment for equiptment and bottling...what are some obstacles holding back home brewers from selling at local bars and liquor stores?

Also - how many times or ways to do you need to change a recipe for it to be called "yours". Most of the home brews I've madeI base them off a recipe I received - then I alter them by adding or subtracting grain, malts, or hops. Is there a certain number of ways it needs to be changed in order to be "mine"? Or is the real ownership of the beer come from "how" it was brewed and the process behind it? Even then - how much would it need to be altered to be yours?

Any thoughts?

1. Selling home brew is not a legal act
2. You brew it it is yours, you may call it yours, but do credit the recipe creator as in based on ???????? recipe.

IrregularPulse said:
you have to become a licensed brewery. That's the very expensive obstacle.

I looked into this because its a pipedream of mine. From what I recall, it costs $900 for the first year, and I believe $400 per year after that. As well as $150 per style (they called it "label") per year. This is in NY.

For now it remains a pipe dream. When I hit the lotto HBT members will drink free at my brewpub!

Latest posts

Back