Russian Imperial Stout or something...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
HELLO ALL!!! Had my brother up and one of his long time friends for a brew day. Did a PM and some LHBS light malt extract in a tub! So far it SMELLS AWESOME and tastes better. The recepie goes something like this...

7lbs light LME

2lbs 6-row
2lbs flaked oats
2lbs carafoam
2lbs crystal 80
.5lbs roasted barley

2oz Sorachi Ace 12.5% hops @60 min
2oz Sorachi Ace 12.5% hops @5 min

(made a wimpy 4.2% beer as a starter) Yeast cake of ROGUE PACMAN WYeast from prevous batch of beer.

6.5 gallon boil, Had a boilover....:drunk: Just under 5 gallons, if I had to guess 4.85 - 4.95 gallons made it into the primary. Filled up to 5.25ish gallons to end up with a OG of 1.080. I mashed at 149F. I calculate that this beer will be 7.7%... now I think I'll add 1lb of honey to bump that up to 8.4% just for giggles.

SORACHI ACE HOPS SMELL AWESOME!!!! OMG!!!! I am in love. If this beer tastes anything like it does now or smelled while brewing I'm going to have to make another batch just like it! The whole brew day was awesome. My brother and his buddy showed up and off we went to get pizza, beer and propane.... I was kinda empty. Found a kinda spendy market in the ghetto that has one hell of a beer selection. (Ghetto as in salem, oregon ghetto, not LA ghetto.... forget that. No amount of beer is worth that trip imho.) Got the beer, the grub and the flame and off we went. Their first time brewing. I explained how easy it could be with just the tub-o-extract some hops and yeast, or how complicated you can make it with mash tuns, pumps, grains, starters etc... They both want to buy some equipment and brew. Next time we brew it's a 10 gallon AG batch and they are going in on it. They are cleaning some bottles out and peeling some labels off AND cleaning up the mess after a brew day. If then they still want to do it I'll look on craiglist for some junk to get them started. Anyhow I just had one hell of a good brew day and thought I would share it, boilover and all. :rockin:

Back