Victory?? ...... or Not to Victory?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goin2brew

Reaction score
I'm using up left over hops and yeast so I decided to make a simple English-like Bitter. I've been thinking about adding Victory malt to the grain bill, but never used it before. I'm not sure if it will be lost in the beer, if it will clash with other flavors or be a nice addition - this is where the more experienced opinion is needed.

I was thinking of using 1/2LB Victory and dropping either Maris Otter or Crystal 60L down 1/2LB. Or a 1/4 of each.

Any thoughts??? Thanks.

This is for a 5 gallon batch.
Assume 70% efficiency

Projected Stats:
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 34.6
SRM: 12.6

Grain
8.5# Maris Otter
1.5# Crystal 60L

Hops
8.5 AAU Northern Brewer @60 mins.
1.2 AAU Czech Saaz @10 mins
1.4 AAU Willamette @10 mins

Yeast
Safale S-04 (English Ale)

I've tried victory a few times, and have never been able to detect it in the final beer.
That looks like a very large amount of crystal for an English Bitter. I use 0.5 lb for a 5 gallon batch. I'd try cutting it back to no more than 1 lb, and preferably less than that, and making up the gravity with a bit more M.O.

-a.

How about

8.50# Maris Otter
0.75# Crystal 60L
0.75# Victory

or

8.75# Maris Otter
0.50# Crystal 60L
0.75# Victory Malt

I love victory malt! I use it in my stout sometimes, in my English style IPAs, the Fat Tire clone, my ESB, and even my California common!

It's toasty/biscuity, and I usually use about .75 pound- 1 pound in a 13 pound grain bill.

Thanks -a and Yooper.

I think I'm leaning toward this grain bill:

8.75# Maris Otter
0.50# Crystal 60L
0.75# Victory Malt

That seals the deal for me! I'm looking for just that - something light but still having character.

Thanks Yooper!!

This is my next brew!!!

Just brewed this today and the aroma in the boil seemed a little richer than usual. I'm assuming it was the victory malt. Hopefully it translates into a richer flavor. I'll definitely write a follow up in a month when I get to taste this.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back