floating thermometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
what big box stores carry floating thermometers? I didn't find any at Target or Kroger.

the_bird said:
None that I've seen. Any particular reason for a floating thermometer instead of a digital probe? Makes life a LOT easier.

My digital probe broke last night. I bought it on Sunday. The temp is way high.

olllllo said:
Bake it (everything but the plastic connector) at 350° for 30 mins

even the actual probe part? How do I know this thing isn't going to break again next time when I'm heating up my sparge water?

oh, i see. do you leave the probe in the water or do you take it out after you get a reading?

I suspend it in the water using a binder clip. I'll leave it in my mash, too (I don't know if that's possible with your MLT), so that I can keep an eye on mash temp without having to open it back up. The latter is, my my opinion, a huge advantage of the rectangular coolers, since the lid just closes instead of screwing on. My mash is thick enough where it'll be suspended four inches or so deep, but won't get wet.

My last brew session the floating thermometer broke in my mash tun. The glass was unbelievably thin. LHBS owner said they are a POS but didn't mention that fact when I was buying if from him.

Back