The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see Seattle take their rightful place on top of the West. Been fun to watch them turn it around after a dismal start.

Looking like Atlanta will be getting an MLS team! I am so freaking excited about this and cant wait to be enjoying my homebrew at tailgates!

Source?

Neither MLSsoccer.com nor BigSoccer say anything about that (the latter always being the fastest source, IMMO :ban:)

AJC, SI, and Sporting News all have reported about deep discussions. I also know a guy who knows a high up management official with in the Falcons Organization that said a letter of intent was signed by Blank last weekend to MLS about buying an expansion franchise for the 2015 season.

United get rinsed by Citeh, Arsenal go top of the league with a win at Stoke, and Di Canio out at Sunderland...

the great Manchester massacre

What a great day only thing missing was an Ashley Young dive in the box

Arsenal have the most in the EPL since Jan. 1, 2013. If we can avoid any more big injuries and get some reinforcements in the January window we could be a real contender for the championship.

Did you guys catch Guzan's save against Norwhich? Unreal, and the penalty save was pretty good too.

[ame]http://youtu.be/h80tkFmdwfM[/ame]

Jurgen needs to strongly consider Guzan in goal.
Howard is a solid choice, but I think Guzan is a step up in their current form.

Sick free kick

Chelsea is really sucking I see them finishing out of the top four.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it!! I knew this thread would suck me in sooner or later. This weekend I watched EPL while brewing. I was hooked.

I don't know if it is the EPL or if soccer has become much more fluid and flowing compared to the days when it was very regimented and kick the ball back to set up the play. I think it was Germany that was the key culprit.

Anyway, rec and travel soccer was not around when I was growing up. I really have no clue what to watch or who to watch.

Any advice, sites or teams to really watch to learn more would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Damn it!! I knew this thread would suck me in sooner or later. This weekend I watched EPL while brewing. I was hooked.

I don't know if it is the EPL or if soccer has become much more fluid and flowing compared to the days when it was very regimented and kick the ball back to set up the play. I think it was Germany that was the key culprit.

Anyway, rec and travel soccer was not around when I was growing up. I really have no clue what to watch or who to watch.

Any advice, sites or teams to really watch to learn more would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the fold brotha!

Soccer has come a long ways over the last 20 years. The pace and speed of the game is light years ahead of where it was back then.

As far as what to watch I'm partial to the EPL as I'm an Arsenal fan. The lions share of televised soccer from across the pond is going to be EPL since NBC has bought the rights and is doing quite well broadcasting it. You can see some Champions League (midweek/mid-day on FOX) whenever those games are scheduled, but that isn't weekly by any means.

As far as who to watch... WATCH ARSENAL!!! :D

Seriously though, the top teams in the EPL are Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool. Outside of the EPL you have Barcelona and Real Madrid in Spain, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in Germany. They all play some exciting stuff.

Also, watch some MLS. It's not on par with the Euro leagues, yet, but it's local and entertaining to watch as well. Pick a team near you and support away!

Thanks

Don't just jump into picking a team. Watch some games and see which one you are drawn to.

That said there are some arch types that if you fall into there are teams to pick:

The Front Runner--If you just want to jump on the winning side, go with Manchester City or Chelsea. They are a bit like the Miami heat in that neither has a really rich history but has come into a boat load of money and have bought their way into the elite level.

The Underdog--If you want to pull for the little guys then teams like Fulham, West Brom, and Sunderland could be your ticket. Not likely to ever compete for the league title but can make a run in the League or FA Cup and get into the Europa League from time to time.

The History and Legacy Boys--This is like the Steelers, Yankees, Lakers. Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal all have history and have built teams with both buying players and bringing them through their academy.

The Beautiful Game--You want to watch the most appealing soccer, teams like Arsenal and Swansea City are the ones for you.

There are also the jerseys, if you like one pull for them. If you have any historical ties to a city go with one from there.

Maybe the EPL is not for you, you want to watch the Spanish, German, Italian, ect. You can use pretty much the same criteria to find a team there.

And like the first guy said, pick an MLS team. MLS is not as good as the best leagues in Europe but its quality of play has improved vastly over the last 10 years.

Really the most important things is to just watch a game and enjoy it. The rest will come to you. And have a good session or lower ABV beer in your pipe line to enjoy while you are watching those weekend morning games from Europe, don't want to get drunk before noon but a beer and sports is the perfect pair.

Me? Him? Him? Me? Him? Me?

Roxbury.gif

For the record, Gonzo and Evans both say this was completely random and just great timing.

Hey guys,

If you are interested in my education. I took Daneilofthedale's advice. The teams under the title Beautiful Game appealed to me. I like teams that play the game with art but they will play high risk/high reward. Plus I like to go through many emotions when watching a game. This style of play lends to a lot of emotion.

With that said. I watched a reply of Swansea vs. Crystal Palace. I can relate to Swansea's style of play.

I am excited about the fixture this weekend against Arsenal vs. Swansea. Since Aresenal is the other Beautiful Game club. Now I just need to make a quick recipe so I can call it a brew day.

AYGOV-What should I be watching with your club?

Thanks guys for your patience with this young grasshopper.

Hey guys,

If you are interested in my education. I took Daneilofthedale's advice. The teams under the title Beautiful Game appealed to me. I like teams that play the game with art but they will play high risk/high reward. Plus I like to go through many emotions when watching a game. This style of play lends to a lot of emotion.

With that said. I watched a reply of Swansea vs. Crystal Palace. I can relate to Swansea's style of play.

I am excited about the fixture this weekend against Arsenal vs. Swansea. Since Aresenal is the other Beautiful Game club. Now I just need to make a quick recipe so I can call it a brew day.

AYGOV-What should I be watching with your club?

Thanks guys for your patience with this young grasshopper.

Glad to be of help flipfoptan! As for the Swansea vs Arsenal game, you should watch for an Arsenal victory :D

With Swansea playing at home you should look for them to try to be the aggressor, which will play to Arsenal's advantage as we like to strike quickly on the counter. As for the key player, its Mesut Ozil. He is the best player for Arsenal and one of the best players in the world. He has played just games for us yet he is already the league leader in assists.

This should be a very entertaining game!

Exactly what danielofthedale said.

Look for Arsenal to try to hit Swansea on the counter. Watch for sagna and Gibbs (defenders) to get involved in the attack down the wings. The midfield is where it is at for us. Ozil has a penchant for handing out assists like candy, Aaron Ramsey seems to be hitting his with 6 goals in 7 games (I think) and flamini and Ramsey play the hard men.

One thing we are prone to is losing possession in the midfield and having to scramble to get cover back.

Overall it'll be a good game because Swansea will attack.

Besides Mert & Gnabry we have fully rested starters. Swansea played many of their starters in the cup game mid week. Even though we usually struggle when Michu is fit, I think we'll take all 3 points. 3-1. Late goal from Rambo to seal it.

Aygov & Daniel.....either of you have a look at the Arsenal financial report that came out earlier this week?

Wow... that was an interesting Saturday!

Disappointment on both sides of Manchester, Arsenal stay top, Southampton are in the CL spots, and United are languishing in 12th.

If the season keeps up like it should be interesting come May!

If Arsenal can keep this up and win the league, and I know that's a big IF, today will be a day to remember. Chelsea and Spurs each drop points and United and City both loss games they should have probably got 3 pts from heading into.

I'm starting to get a special feeling about this Gunners team!

Saints (Southampton) in 2005 were insolvent and beating up tramps for their lunch money, went down to league division 1 and blowing sailors for beer money.
Today, they are 4th in the EPL

Jebus, I LOVE footy!!! :D

No offense Gnome but every year there's one side that lights it up early and by mid December they start to fade. Southampton is this year's team I'd bet.

Yes, they did beat Liverpool but their other results are against the who's who of relegation bound clubs... West Brom, Sunderland, Norwich, West Ham and Palace. Not exactly quality sides there.
If they are still top half on January 2nd, I'll be impressed.

No offense Gnome but every year there's one side that lights it up early and by mid December they start to fade. Southampton is this year's team I'd bet.

Yes, they did beat Liverpool but their other results are against the who's who of relegation bound clubs... West Brom, Sunderland, Norwich, West Ham and Palace. Not exactly quality sides there.
If they are still top half on January 2nd, I'll be impressed.

Beating the best and slipping up against the smaller clubs is the norm for us. We were the last team to beat Liverpool before we beat them this time! :eek:

Yeah, it looks good at the moment, and can quickly fade, I know that from a lifetime of experience following them. It may well happen again this year.

However, we have a very different setup now from any time in the past. Maybe not this year, but it is a club going forward. I wouldn't back them to win anything right now, but the future is very bright for them as things stand.

Instead of shaking hands this is how Torres greets people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's better than biting people.

My fav part is how Chelsea fans were bitching about him getting a red card. Blamed the tie on the ref I think Chelsea fans are the worst. He was getting so much hate his name was trending on twitter.

Arsenal vs Napoli should be awesome

Back