F-I-L Asks If I Could Make Miller Lite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That speaks towards consistency of the product. Not the quality of the beer within the style. Completely different.

Neither one is all that remarkable. I find a good bar bet to be putting 2 glasses of Coors light and 1 glass of Bud light in front of a diehard fan and betting $20 he can't tell the difference.

As far as quality, when I drink an American lager, I'll take a Full Sail Session, or failing that an Oly or Rainier.

Pappers, you're right. I got carried away with the insults and I apologize.

Neither one is all that remarkable. I find a good bar bet to be putting 2 glasses of Coors light and 1 glass of Bud light in front of a diehard fan and betting $20 he can't tell the difference.

As far as quality, when I drink an American lager, I'll take a Full Sail Session, or failing that an Oly or Rainier.

Nothing in here expounding on the resources issue. Can anybody else offer an explanation?

I'll pick back up with this debate after Christmas. Til then, I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

I think it's the typical attitude of a homebrewer that wants to take on challenges like these (the OP). We brew beer that we like, so we should be able to brew beer that other beer drinkers like, right? With enough skill and the right equipment, we should be able to.

It's been suggested many times in this thread. If you want to please your FIL with beer, then brew one of the recommended recipes. We don't need to carry out debates about which beer is this or that, we just need to please your FIL.

I presume you stole this bar bet from "Beer Wars." It works better if you take 1 Miller Lite, 1 Coors Light, and 1 Bud Light. With 2 Coors and a Bud they should be able to pick the odd man out so to speak. It is fun though, I've done it.:D

I presume you stole this bar bet from "Beer Wars." It works better if you take 1 Miller Lite, 1 Coors Light, and 1 Bud Light. With 2 Coors and a Bud they should be able to pick the odd man out so to speak. It is fun though, I've done it.:D

Never seen it, but it doesn't surprise me that it's in there.

Ummm...your initial post was nothing but derision towards BMC.

Regardless, the fact remains that the style of beers that BMC fall into is a supremely difficult type of beer to make. We should all strive to become brewers of the skill level that could pull off those types of beers at that level of quality.

I agree with you completely. No derision intended.

BMC is indeed about marketing. But resources? We as homebrewers have the same resources as they do. If you have lagering equipment (a fridge with a temp controller) then you have the same resources as the big boys do. And if you can make a great batch, every time, without error, then you have the same skill as they do. The consistency you speak of takes a great amount of skill in and of itself. And that "trained testing panel" is a part of that skill. The fact that they needed training is indicative of skill. Seriously, if you think it is not all that difficult, put your money where your mouth is. Do it. Because if you have a simple lagering setup, you have all you need.

Back