magic hat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
this stinks in my opinion:
"KPS Capital Partners’ New York-based Genesee is reportedly close to an acquisition for Magic Hat, the Vermont-based microbrewery.

The private equity firm declined to comment for this story.

The deal, if reports are true, would represent the firm's first add-on since the three-way merger of Genesee producer High Falls Brewing Co., Labatt USA— an Anheuser Busch-InBev carveout —and the Seagram’s Cooler Escapes and Smooth Brands, acquired from Pernod Ricard.

With roughly 130 employees, according to Beer Business Daily, Magic Hat is Vermont’s largest brewer. Beer Business Daily was the first to report the deal between Genesee and Magic Hat.

In the past, KPS Capital Partners’ Raquel Vargas Palmer has worked on its buildout of its alcoholic beverage assets.

In recent months M&A in the brewery space has been downright frothy. Otter Creek Brewing Company, last year, sold itself to a larger group of investors that also owns Long Trail. Earlier this summer, food executive Deal Metropoulos acquired Pabst Brewing, and in April, Anchor Brewing Co. was sold to Griffin Group, a California-based, privately-held firm."

meh - Magic Hat doesn't brew anything I care for...

kinda hate to see a microbrewer sucked up into the machine, tho

Magic Hat's recent legal battle over the #9 v. 9# debacle put them on my poop list forever. Frankly them being absorbed into inBev makes my heart happy now- I have officially no reason to support them.

i've tried #9 twice and think it's a terrible beer, i don't know what the hype is all about. i'm sure it was a deal they couldn't pass up...

i've tried #9 twice and think it's a terrible beer, i don't know what the hype is all about. i'm sure it was a deal they couldn't pass up...

People love that beer though. I hate it. I'd much prefer a bud light over it.

Magic Hat's proprietary yeast is their problem. Every beer they make has a certain common quality that just bothers me.

I couldn't agree more. The only brew i like of Magic Hat is the HI.P.A. and i think its because the hops hide the yeasty flavor that ALL magic hat beers have. I just opened the new fall Odd Notion and its crap. Almost a complete Sam Adams Hefe' rip off. Last night had their Hex Ourktoberfest, only good part of that was the label has some great artwork. It tasted like that old budwieser that your dad forgot about in the garage fridge and you drank when you were twelve.

Naturally i came here to see if I am crazy for not liking Magic Hat cause people seriously love this stuff around here, and in VT its huge. Thank God for Long Trail keeping Vermont in the graces of good beer.

Now what the hell do i do with a 12 pack I dont like??

Great idea! :mug: Beside's Uncle Sam, Brown's is the best thing to come out of Troylette. Their ESB is great as well. I am happy that you don't have to go to the brewery to get their beers, even Price Chopper sells them now.

Another non-Magic Hat fan here...

Can I just say, has anyone had the Wacko? That has to be the worst, crappiest one I've tried from them. And it's freakin' PINK! Leave the beets out of it.

Another non-Magic Hat fan here...

Can I just say, has anyone had the Wacko? That has to be the worst, crappiest one I've tried from them. And it's freakin' PINK! Leave the beets out of it.

no way, the worst was their winter "odd notion" last winter. garbage.

their beer is bad and they should feel bad.

+1 for the Aprihop, had it the first time the other day.

Regarding Magic Hat, its not my kind of beer. I will say though that from what I have seen, the ladies to tend to like it :)

Back