Bleeding off pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Sorry for the NOOB question, but in everything I read about force carbing and sealing the keg it talks about bleeding off pressure. Is this done by turning off the gas and removing the "in" line and bleeding from the post (no relief valve on my corny's)? Or do you turn off the gas and use the relief valve on the regulator?

can you also verify these procedures:
- rack to the sanitized keg
- pressure to 30 psi and roll or shake the keg for a few minutes
- release the pressure
- repeat the process twice more
- store the keg t 30 psi over night
- reduce to desired psi (12 in my case) and drink

Thanks

No pressure relief valve in the center of the lid in your cornies? Wow...

-Rack to sanitized keg - Yes
-Pressurize to 30 psi and roll or shake for a few minutes no
(...if you are in a pinch you can do that, but the best way to force carb your beer is to pressurize to your desired volume (ie. 12psi) and leave it alone for two weeks before touching it, but it will be even better around 3 weeks. There are many chemical reactions that take place within the beer once the co2 is applied, and it only gets better after 2-3 weeks.)
-Release the pressure - unnecessary if you leave it alone for 2-3 weeks.
-Store the keg at 30 psi over night - again, unnecessary if you practice the set it and forget it method
-Reduce to desired psi and drink - once again, not necessary if you plan far enough in advance.

IMO leaving it alone to carb for the minimum of 2 weeks will ensure the proper carbonation level, w/o problems whatsoever, a little planning can eliminate having to shake, rattle, and roll if you will.

Cheers!:mug:

Schnitzengiggle,
Thanks for the reply. There maybe a release valve on the top but it doesn't seem to do anything, pressing down on the center of the inlet post seems to work best. So I don't release pressure on the regulator?

Unfortunately time is not on my side. Movers will be here in just over a month to ship our stuff to Japan and I have 10 gallons to drink. I know, piss poor planning on my part but I really wanted to get a couple more batches brewed and a keezer built before we left the States.

Thanks again for the reply.

Schnitzengiggle,
Thanks for the reply. There maybe a release valve on the top but it doesn't seem to do anything, pressing down on the center of the inlet post seems to work best. So I don't release pressure on the regulator?

Unfortunately time is not on my side. Movers will be here in just over a month to ship our stuff to Japan and I have 10 gallons to drink. I know, piss poor planning on my part but I really wanted to get a couple more batches brewed and a keezer built before we left the States.

Thanks again for the reply.

"Normally" there is a pressure relief valve right in the center of the lid of the corny keg, and "usually" it will have a ring attached (like a keychain ring) that you can pull up on to relieve the pressure.

There are tons of great youtube videos on corny keg use and care, take a look when you have the time.

I have a buddy that was int he Navy, he thought Japan was really weird. Bon Voyage!:mug:

I just kegged my first beer this week and it was very easy. As Schnit mentioned, odds are you have a relief valve on your corny, you just don't exactly know how to use it yet. It should have a little key ring on it, if not, you need to add one to the little thing in the center and pull up. This will release the pressure. If you are short on time, here is the best way to force carb it. Chill keg for 24 hours, turn on the gas to 30 psi, turn off the gas, release your pressure valve on your corny, turn on the gas to 30 psi, turn off the gas, release your pressure valve on the corny, now turn on the gas to 30 psi and leave it for 36 hours, after 36 hours turn off the gas, release your pressure valve on your corny, adjust gas to 10-12 psi, turn it on, and serve. You should now have a good amount of CO2 in your beer.

Back