Hand Corker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FungusBrew

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to cork #9's with a hand corker? Since I intend on only making wine a couple times a year, it's a little expensive to invest in a larger model. What do you think? Thanks!

It can be tough and there are a few different hand models out there also. I prefer the Portuguese dble lever hand corker over the rest but will say the Port. Floor corker isnt really much more and is WAY better! #8 corks will work much better with hand corkers!

I used #9s with a double lever hand corker just once! I did 3 gallons, and I swore I'd never do it again. You can do it, but it is a real pain. I went through three hand corkers, trying different ones, before just giving up and getting a floor corker.

If you're near a homebrew store, they often rent out their floor corkers for a day, or even let you use it for free. I'd recommend giving that a try, if possible!

I used my single level corker for the first few small batches I made, and it wasn't bad for 10-15 bottles. More than that and it starts getting hard on the hands.
IF you're only doing a couple batches a year and IF it's less than 3 gallons a hand corker would be fine, IMHO.

Anything more than that, look for a floor corker, beg, borrow, rent, but definitely use one.

My $.02

D

Me thinks those posts say it all. $5 plus shipping and you can have my hand corker that I used on 2 batches before putting it in a bag and tossing it in the drawer!

Latest posts

Back