Weird Question, Kat litter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckyboy

Reaction score
Well as the name states weird one here, would there be any ill effects to having my brew set up in about a 6x6 closet that also houses my kiddys poop box? I do all my racking, testing, bottleing, ect in the kitchen its just to store my carboys and fermenter outta tha way(i have a apartment, kitchen table didnt make the GF to happy) haha

Cheers

Cory

Hrm... Well, I guess theoretically it should be fine. As long as the temperature doesn't suddenly drop after fermentation is done and your fermenter sucks a big breath of kitty-litter-scented air in. :)

And fair warning: cats are fascinated by airlocks.

I am pretty unflappable when it comes to making beer. Meaning I don't worry about too much ruining my beer. But I wouldn't ferment next to my litter boxes. A lot of nasty ass bacteria gets kicked up when those cats scratch around and when you sift through to clean.

O well i guess i have to.........kick the cat out haha but she has been good with not playing with the blow off hoses and air locks when they were on the table now there up on a self that she would have to try pretty hard to get at not to worried. Now i gotta find a place 4 3 carboys and a fermenter or a cat box jeeze......and i guess would it be the same with just storing my equipment, supplys and ingredients in there?

Cheers

Cory

but on a second thought it was my first instinct that it would be fine cus no air from the closet should get in but maybe ill see what happens with these 3 brews and maybe think of a solution to make a GF, cat and my beer happy

cheers

Cory

That could get awkward in the middle of the night if you walked in on her.

I mean, what do you do... say "excuse me?" :D

I would sooner ferment in a sealed carboy with it than store raw ingredients in with it. If these are your two choices then ferment in there. Maybe you can fit a cabinet in there to keep the fermenters somewhat separate.

That could get awkward in the middle of the night if you walked in on her.

I mean, what do you do... say "excuse me?" :D

They have no problem walking in on me. In fact they try too. And not just into the bathroom but they want to get right in on the action. Not to paint too specific a picture but I am pretty good at avoiding a curious cat head while standing on one leg and kicking with the other.

Well all valid points i think and i guess comes down to it i should be able to find a spot for a small box versus bottles carboys fermenter and ingrediants and and so closet will be for brewing haha

I was so proud when i got it all set up with my water baths and selfs to hold stored beers and ingrediant and bottles, got it temp controled about 5 hours custom work in that small ass space haha

PS i tried training her she just hated getting all wet , i kept forgeting to put the seat down haha GF or kat u guess :)

Cheers

Cory

My fermenter is in the same room as our litter box. My theory is that the sanitation procedures should be strict enough that it doesn't matter what is going on around the fermenter. If cat crap bacteria are getting into your beer, then so are wild yeasts, wild bacteria, swine flu, etc...

Granted, my last batch tasted like crap, but I blame my first attempt at yeast washing. Previous batches have been wonderful.

Back