How much priming sugar for Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahpedal

Reaction score
A 5-Gallon batch of Dry Irish Stout is hanging out in my basement - I'll be bottling it next week and my understanding is that Stouts have a lower amount of carbonation than some other beers. So my question is how much of the 5oz of priming sugar should I use?

The following link below seems to say that I should cut it in half and use 2.5 oz of the priming sugar, if I'm reading it properly. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to overcarbonate, and I also don't want to underdo it and have flat beer.

Thanks

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming Solutions

I'm drinking my slightlyundercarbed stout right now. I thought cutting it down from my usual 3/4 cup to 1/2 a cup corn sugar would fit the stout guidelines better, but I'm not happy with the carbonation level.....still drinkable though. I would stick with 3/4 a cup, or 5 ounces.

I always used that calculator and ended up with undercarbed beer. I finally threw caution to the wind and went higher than that recommends and I finally have nicely carbonated beer that has a head without having to pour it super roughly. It's a good resource and I've recommended it often, but I'm starting to wonder if it's a tad low.

5 ounces should be fine. I usually go with 4.5 ounces, to get 2.5 volumes of carbonation at my bottling temp. You want some nice carbonation on that style, so I'd go with the full 5 ounces.

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

shows same amount as tasty brew. I used the recommended amount for my "Ode to Arthur (Guiness Clone)" and it seems carbed just fine.

I think its ultimately another personal preference in the end like most of homebrewing.

Depending on how carbed you like stuff you may want to do what I often do in carbing to styles, for beers that have a mid carbonation range I usually aim for the middle of the style, lets say if says the range is 2-3 volumes I will opt for 2.5..but since I am an american raised on fizzier beers, as are most of the non beer geeks who may drink my beer, if it is a style that has a lower range like Stout 1.7-2.3 volumes I may opt for the highest number of that style, or near to in...so I might choose to aim for 2-2.3 volumes.

But if it is a style with traditionally highest volumes, I usually choose to go to the higher end of that one. Just my 2 cents.

Back