Flaked Grains Cause Cloudiness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Do flaked grains lead to increased cloudiness in beer?

I am getting very good results using a pound of flaked rice, wheat, or corn in my mash, but it does seem to increase the cloudiness of the finished beer.

Is it the flaked grain?

Since flaked grain is unmalted, it has a higer starch content, even after the mash. So yes, high amounts of flaked or unmalted grain can cause starch haze in the final beer.

Do flaked grains lead to increased cloudiness in beer?

Yes, the high protein content leads to cloudiness, better head retention, and more perceived body. Highly recommended for wheat and oatmeal beers or, if used sparingly, to add head retention to any beer.

When I have a significant % of adjuncts I will do a step mash even with flaked grains. No problems with clarity. I infuse at .9 qt/lb at 122 or 131 and then step to sacc rest using boiling water, usually end up around 2 qt/lb.

When I have a significant % of adjuncts I will do a step mash even with flaked grains. No problems with clarity. I infuse at .9 qt/lb at 122 or 131 and then step to sacc rest using boiling water, usually end up around 2 qt/lb.

I did a step mash with my amber ale (that included flaked corn) that is about gone now. It was a little cloudy in the keg, but was clear as crystal after a couple of weeks. I had forgotten about that.

I need some corn and 60L to refill that keg...

I have a cream ale in secondary (1lb flaked maize) and it was the one time that I forgot Irish Moss...

Will probably end up adding bentonite. Verrrrrry cloudy.

Back