German IPA?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
A few days back I had created a post on here trying to find a clone for Southern Tier's Imperial Red ale, because I really enjoyed how they featured the Hallertau hops in that beer and wanted to try to incorporate that into my beer. Now I'm thinking that maybe an IPA is a good place to feature those hops. So, I took a recent IPA that I made, Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer IPA, and I messed around with it in Beersmith. Here's what I ended up with:

Steeping Grains:
1 lb Crystal 60L

Extract:
9.15 lbs Munich Malt Extract (from Northern Brewer)

Hops:
0.75 oz German Magnum (60 mins)
1.25 oz German Magnum (20 mins)
2.00 oz German Tradition (5 mins)
1.00 oz German Perle (dry hop)

Yeast:
Not sure yet

Does anybody have any opinions about how this may turn out? Any advice?

A few days back I had created a post on here trying to find a clone for Southern Tier's Imperial Red ale, because I really enjoyed how they featured the Hallertau hops in that beer and wanted to try to incorporate that into my beer. Now I'm thinking that maybe an IPA is a good place to feature those hops. So, I took a recent IPA that I made, Northern Brewer's Dead Ringer IPA, and I messed around with it in Beersmith. Here's what I ended up with:

Steeping Grains:
1 lb Crystal 60L

Extract:
9.15 lbs Munich Malt Extract (from Northern Brewer)

Hops:
0.75 oz German Magnum (60 mins)
1.25 oz German Magnum (20 mins)
2.00 oz German Tradition (5 mins)
1.00 oz German Perle (dry hop)

Yeast:
Not sure yet

Does anybody have any opinions about how this may turn out? Any advice?

Also, what is different about munich malt extract (other than the fact that it's made from 50% munich malt)?

I really enjoyed how they featured the Hallertau hops in that beer and wanted to try to incorporate that into my beer.

Where are the Hallertauer in your recipe? Tradition are a fine substitute, perhaps that is your plan? Regardless, the recipe looks basically good, though I'd make the following changes if it were me:

1. Reduce the C60 to 4-8 oz (I like a dryer IPA)

2. Use Magnum at just the 60 min mark

3. From 20 min on, use Tradition and Perle

I actually like Perle as a 20 minute addition, and I've never dry hopped with it. Tradition is also a good late boil hop, in my opinion. Perhaps a more staggered approach will impart more hop depth to the finished beer?

Cheers!

I think it will be awfully sweet and malty. You might consider going with something completely different with a German 2-row pils extract base and 5% CaraHell or CaraMunich. Magnum early, Hallertauer Mittelfruh late. Perle & Magnum do not offer much aroma. German Kolsch yeast from White Labs or Wyeast. Think light, hoppy, pale, and crisp instead of heavy, malty, dark, and difficult to drink.

I personally don't think this recipe will turn out very well. 100% Munich malt extract will be too sweet for an IPA-like beer, and the hops will be very herbally/floral.

I would do something along the lines of a Koelsch base, hopped to 50 IBU, and dry hopped. That's similar in style to what is called Rheinisches Bitterbier (essentially the Koelsch-version of a Kellerbier), and is quite tasty. I'd definitely First Wort Hop the beer as well.

Where are the Hallertauer in your recipe? Tradition are a fine substitute, perhaps that is your plan? Regardless, the recipe looks basically good, though I'd make the following changes if it were me:

1. Reduce the C60 to 4-8 oz (I like a dryer IPA)

2. Use Magnum at just the 60 min mark

3. From 20 min on, use Tradition and Perle

I actually like Perle as a 20 minute addition, and I've never dry hopped with it. Tradition is also a good late boil hop, in my opinion. Perhaps a more staggered approach will impart more hop depth to the finished beer?

Cheers!

In the southern tier imperial red, they call the other hops hallertau magnum, hallertau tradition, and hallertau perle. I guess they are all derived from hallertau. I like your advice here though and will definitely play with it. Maybe I'll do some one gal batches

I think it will be awfully sweet and malty. You might consider going with something completely different with a German 2-row pils extract base and 5% CaraHell or CaraMunich. Magnum early, Hallertauer Mittelfruh late. Perle & Magnum do not offer much aroma. German Kolsch yeast from White Labs or Wyeast. Think light, hoppy, pale, and crisp instead of heavy, malty, dark, and difficult to drink.

I like malty beer. But, the northern brewer Munich extract is half Munich and half pale. Would this be too malty still? Maybe German IPA is not the best descriptor. I'm just using an IPA recipe as a starting point and making changes from there.

I personally don't think this recipe will turn out very well. 100% Munich malt extract will be too sweet for an IPA-like beer, and the hops will be very herbally/floral.

I would do something along the lines of a Koelsch base, hopped to 50 IBU, and dry hopped. That's similar in style to what is called Rheinisches Bitterbier (essentially the Koelsch-version of a Kellerbier), and is quite tasty. I'd definitely First Wort Hop the beer as well.

The northern brewer Munich extract is only half munich malt. I'm not sure if it would still be too sweet, but maybe I could change the extract additions. Maybe 6 lbs Munich extract and 3.15 lbs maris otter or pale extract?

Also, I've never heard of a rheinisches bitterbier. Can we find these in the US?

First wort hopping...I will have to try that

The northern brewer Munich extract is only half munich malt. I'm not sure if it would still be too sweet, but maybe I could change the extract additions. Maybe 6 lbs Munich extract and 3.15 lbs maris otter or pale extract?

Also, I've never heard of a rheinisches bitterbier. Can we find these in the US?

First wort hopping...I will have to try that

If it's anything like Briess' Munich (which is also 50/50 I think), it will be fairly sweet unless you play with enzymes to dry it out a bit. I would use 1 can of Munich and the rest of a pale or Pilsner extract.

I don't think Bitterbier is commonly available in the U.S. See http://thebittenbullet.blogspot.com/2012/11/bitterbier-blind-tasting.html for some vague info

If it's anything like Briess' Munich (which is also 50/50 I think), it will be fairly sweet unless you play with enzymes to dry it out a bit. I would use 1 can of Munich and the rest of a pale or Pilsner extract.

I don't think Bitterbier is commonly available in the U.S. See http://thebittenbullet.blogspot.com/2012/11/bitterbier-blind-tasting.html for some vague info

I guess what I'm looking to make here is a deep amber or reddish beer with a fairly big magnum/tradition/perle/hallertau hop presence balanced by enough malt sweetness to cut some bitterness

Am I missing something? Are Tradition and Perle both Hallertau varieties or did you just say you loved Hallertau but aren't using them? (Read that knowing I don't really make German beers much at all)

I recently made a brooklyn lager clone which uses a bunch of Hallertau mixed with Cascade and hopped to 40IBUS.

Am I missing something? Are Tradition and Perle both Hallertau varieties or did you just say you loved Hallertau but aren't using them? (Read that knowing I don't really make German beers much at all)

I recently made a brooklyn lager clone which uses a bunch of Hallertau mixed with Cascade and hopped to 40IBUS.

I'm not really sure because I'm still kind of new at this. I just know that the bottle for the southern tier big red imperial red ale called them 'hallertau magnum, hallertau perle, and hallertau tradition.' Maybe they're indicating that they used the German varieties of these hops. All I know is that beer was awesome and its discontinued

Hallertau isn't a hop varietal per se, it's a growing region. What they call simply "Hallertau" is a close derivative of the Mittelfrueh varietal.

Hallertau isn't a hop varietal per se, it's a growing region. What they call simply "Hallertau" is a close derivative of the Mittelfrueh varietal.

I see. Do magnum, tradition, and perle hops have anything in common then? Or is the label on that beer just a bunch of hype?

If grown in the same region, they share terroir. Genetically, Tradition and Magnum both have Hallertauer Mittelfrueh or Hallertauer Gold ancestry. Perle is derived from Northern Brewer, I believe.

Terroir is important - there are several hop strains out there that are genetically essentially or actually identical to each other than nonetheless taste different because of where they are grown - three of the noble hops, if I remember the information from the Hops book correctly, included.

Back