Belgian Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chcarpenter

Reaction score
So I am brewing a Belgian Dubbel this weekend and started thinking about the Candi Syrup I am going to be using (which is D-90). Well I started wondering when and why do all of you add Candi Syrup into your beers. From everything I have been reading it is completely up the the brewer, but just wanted to hear some thoughts.

I usually add my Candi Syrup at flameout. I seem to remember CSI recommending that practice, but that could be in my head as well.

Some brewers add the sugar adjuncts a few days into the primary fermentation (to avoid stuck fermentations), but I have never had a problem with my Belgians finishing high. I do ramp my temperatures though, and that really helps the yeast keep crunching away.

I usually add mine to the fermentor for a few reasons
1) I'm usually using the syrups in something big, like a dubbel, so this helps the yeast out by not having such a high OG to stress them
2) It gives the yeast a boost by providing more fuel once fermentation starts to slow
3) it preserves the flavor and aroma better than adding hot side

the fermentation upwelling is enough that it mixes in evenly

Back