Another airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcvay131

Reaction score
So just curious to as how crazy should my air lock be bubbling. It seems pretty slow but this is my first 5 gallon batch so I'm not sure. It's going about one bubble every 2 or 3 seconds, this is the second day of fermentation.

It varies, but my last batch was around the same in airlock performance. Is your temp around the lower end of the range for the yeast? I have noticed that lower end temps will have slower airlock activity. I wouldn't worry, airlocks are a poor indicator of fermentation.

Ok cool I have a white bucket so I can't see in it but I put a sure fire flash light on the lid and I could see what looked like foam or bubbles on top.

Bubbling airlock means nothing more than your airlock is working. Try will bubble for any multitude of reasons. Weather, temperature, pressure, bumped the fermenter etc etc. it is not an indication of your fermentation. To ensure your fermentation is complete you will need to take a gravity sample with a hydrometer. That is the only way to tell when fermentation is over. It usually only takes a few days for the gravity to drop. Then the yeast need time to condition the beer. I usually wait till around day 10. Take a reading. Then again at 2weeks if they're the same reading then bottle/keg. If the differ check again in a few days and compare that with second reading. Repeat as necessary till readings are the same then you'll know fermentation is done and its safe to bottle/keg.

Foam on top means its still fermenting. Congrats welcome to the addiction. You've made beer!!!

That's normal. Fermentation for average beers will be about 10-14 days. The main thing is to have patience and let the yeast in the beer do their thing. I'm assuming you're doing a kit. If so, just follow the instructions on it to keep things simple.

The first batch is always the hardest as you're anxious to taste that first beer you made. Stay the course and you'll be rewarded for it. Good luck!

Sweeet lol that's such a good feeling. So do I need to worry about it contaminating when I pop the lid the take a reading or as long as I sanitize my hands and hydrometer will it be fine?

Bubbling airlock means nothing more than your airlock is working. Try will bubble for any multitude of reasons. Weather, temperature, pressure, bumped the fermenter etc etc. it is not an indication of your fermentation.

I can make my airlock bubble on command this batch. I must have set my bucket at the perfect spot on the floor that when I walk past it, I can make it bubble by stepping in the right spot.

GilSwillBasementBrews is 100% correct. There are videos on youtube on using a hydrometer that are very good.

jmcvay131 said:
Sweeet lol that's such a good feeling. So do I need to worry about it contaminating when I pop the lid the take a reading or as long as I sanitize my hands and hydrometer will it be fine?

Don't ever "worry" about your beer, it'll sense your fear and turn on you ;)

Check out YouTube for videos on how to properly check gravity using your hydrometer. I use a bucket and check my gravity at least 2 times during fermentation - no infections here

Alright well thanks guys appreciate the help. Ill probably be back later with another question lol till I get this down.

I think as long as you sanitize whatever is going to come into contact with the beer, you'll be fine.

Me, I just "set and forget" for 2-3 weeks. From the time I pitch my yeast to the time I'm ready to bottle, I only check it twice. Once 2-3 weeks after pitching, then three days after that to make sure fermentation has ended. Besides those two readings, I don't touch it.

O ya and what in the heck is this :mug: thing I see in alot of posts. Just curious.

jmcvay131 said:
Ok I took a reading right before I pitch the yeast is that wrong?

No that's right you want the OG OR Original gravity before yeast is pitched then your FG OR Final gravity after fermentation is over OG-FG*131.25 will give you ballpark ABV For your batch.

Nope, no worries. Just sanitize everything. If you have a turkey baster, or a marinade injector, you can use those to draw your sample. Just don't be lulled into thinking it would be a good idea to stick your face down close to the top of the bucket for a big ol' whiff of your product! Well, wait.... nevermind... maybe that's just rite of passage.... hehehehe

Lol well I saw on here a week ago to just put the hydrometer right in the bucket that will be ok to do. Is thus true?

Bubbles?

Lifta.jpg

jmcvay131 said:
Lol well I saw on here a week ago to just put the hydrometer right in the bucket that will be ok to do. Is thus true?

It's much easier (and tastier) to read the hydrometer if you take your reading from a test jar. Go buy a dedicated turkey baster. A wine thief is even better. Sanitize. Sanitize. Sanitize. Then pop the lid an grab your sample. You'll probably have to dip in a few times if using a baster. Fill up your test jar (or the sealed tube that the hydrometer was packaged in). Drop in your hydrometer and take your reading. That's it. Make sure to seal your fermenter back up when you are finished. Oh and drink that sample! It's the best part of taking a hydro reading :)

I like to remove the airlock before taking off the fermenter lid. For some reason every time I pop my lid all of the liquid in my airlock gets sucked into the bucket. It's because the pressure change or something like that. I cover the open hole with a sanitized piece of plastic wrap. I clean, sanitize and replace the airlock once the lid is back on.

Back