Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosgate

Reaction score
Kid mentioned to me one day how she wished we had the stuff to make a deep dish pizza. We make our own from scratch every week and think cardboard pizza is pretty crappy. I had not had a good deep dish also so low and behold I jumped online and ordered the stuff.Here we go. I had bought this Kit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CS6W6K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Book
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0809257300/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Another tool
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRSCK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
In the book it stressed a couple of important factors. One is tomato sauce and low acid sauce and heavily recommended Escalon 6 in 1 tomatos for the sauce. It is a premium ingredient in which the tomatoes are selected and picked by hand and then canned within hours. It is also used by a majority of the best Chicago pizzeria’s. I found I could get it cheaply online directly from the manufacturer at $2.50 a can and shipping for six 28oz. cans was $1.50. Got the stuff and man, you really could just pull up a spoon and eat out of the can. https://www.escalon.net/shop.aspx Second important factor is the selection of cheese which you want to go with low moisture or skim milk mozzarella cheese. Anything else and it can wind up soupy.

I soon discovered from reviews of the Pizza Uno kit that the TBSP (tablespoon) measurements should be tsp (teaspoon) and the salt should actually only be 1 tsp. So, here is what we used as a combination to make a pretty awesome deep dish Chicago style pizza.

Dough from Pizza Uno Kit
1 packeage (2 ¼ tsp) Active Dry Yeast
¾ cup warm water
1 tsp Sugar
¼ soybean oil or vegetable oil
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1tsp salt
1Tbsp Olive oil

Combine yeast, sugar and water in a mixing bowl until yest is dissolved. Add soybean/vegetable oil and blend. Add flour and salt mixing thoroughly. If using a stand mixer, mix 4 minutes at medium speed, until dough is smooth and pliable. If kneading by hand, knead 7-8 minutes. Turn the dough out of the bowl and knead by hand an additional 2 minutes. Add the olive oil to bowl. Place dough ball into the bowl and turn it twice to coat it with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for two hours.(* you can let it sit in the refrigerator overnight if you want at this point, just pull it out an hour before you want to finish it.)Do not punch it down. Lightly oil the pan with olive oil then spread and push the dough across the bottom of the pan and 2/3 up the side of the pan.

Sauce recipe:
1 28oz can of 6 in 1 Tomatoes
2 tsp Fresh chopped basil (1 tsp dried)
1 tsp Oregano
Salt to taste

Assembly of Pizza
12 oz or more of pizza sauce
16 oz Mozzarella
36 Pepperoni Slices
2 Tbsp Fresh Grated Romano Cheese (or the long string grated Parmesan)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

After spreading the dough drizzle and spread a light coat of Olive oil on the dough. This seals the dough and keeps water from ingredients at bay and allows the dough to cook vs coming out doughy. Next 16oz Mozzerrela slice it and cover the dough. Next spread the Pizza sauce evenly and you can add more if you desire. Next add your topping, Pepperoni in this case, followed by a good dowsing of fresh grated parmesan or fresh grated Romano cheese. Bake on the middle rack of a preheated oven at 475f for 24-30min or until the crust is golden and pulls away from the side of the pan. Verify the center is 125F with a kitchen thermometer and wait 3-5 minutes before cutting and enjoy!

We had also made another in a 14inch pan with the whole can of sauce and more ingredients. Only difference was setting the pan in the bottom rack of the oven for 5 minutes and then moved it to the middle rack for another 30min. Both were different and awesome!

Sorry no pic of a slice removed, we were too anxious to dig in.
1_IMG950701554.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks pretty good.
It's been a couple years since I made one of those. I agree about the 6in1 tomatoes. They're great. I buy the #10 size cans by the case at a local cash and carry.

Latest posts

Back