what different base malts are there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed a Maris Otter/Amarillo smash recipe. I want to brew a sries of smash beers to taste different malts. What are some good and relatively different tasting base malts? The only 2 I've used in beer are MO and Vienna. Are different brands of the same variety different too?

Different brands will taste different. Off the top of my head, a few different ones that you didn't mention:

Golden Promise
Munich
2-Row Brewers
British Pale
Pilsner (Belgian, German, American, Czech)

Rye as a base malt? I don't recall ever hearing that rye can convert itself. Contrary to an ever diminishing popular belief, wheat can though.

rye malt is indeed malted rye, with all the enzymes and diastatic power necessary to convert itself and others. the problem is the lack of a husk, which makes for no filter bed. plus it has a higher protein content that makes for mucho stickiness. these are the reasons (plus it's bold flavor) it's usually seen in such low percentages.

Do you have a link for that? I have a ton of leftover rye I've been looking to do something with. I'd try an all rye beer but don't want to completely waste it.

Do you have a link for that? I have a ton of leftover rye I've been looking to do something with. I'd try an all rye beer but don't want to completely waste it.

do it, if you want! I love rye, but it's way to strong in flavor for me to want to do an all-rye beer. I use about 3 pounds in a 5 gallon batch (about 22% of the grainbill) and it's sufficient for me). If you have enough rice hulls, or are BIAB where you don't have to worry about sticking, then you can use as much as you'd like.

As far as base malts, not only are there different malts, but there are different maltsters. For example, Briess' Vienna malt tastes different than Franco-Belges' Vienna malt. Crisp maris otter malt has a different taste than Munton's maris otter. I really LOVE Castle's pilsner malt, but I like Weyermann's too! There are different flavors provided by different maltsters, and your favorite might be different than mine!

here's what pdf article i have has to say about rye:

Rye Malt
(Domestic)
PG 1.029
2.8-4.3
Diastatic: 105 Lintner
Protein 10-13%
Dry, rye flavor and character. Sufficient enzymes to self-convert, so it can use as base
malt. Rye contains a starch that can be gelatinized at mashing temperature and convertible
to fermentable sugars, but the mashing process can also turn the high levels of protein into
a sticky mess. Use with caution at high quantities!
• Unlike barley (and similar to wheat), rye has no husk, and also absorbs water
comparatively quickly. Combined with the grain’s high beta-glucan content, this
can often result in stuck mashes. A beta-glucan rest is strongly recommended.
• For seasonal beers, roggenbier and ales.
• Lends biscuit-like, smooth, almost oily rye component to finished beer.

This worked good for a 1 gallon batch. I guess you could up all the numbers for a 5 gallon mix.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 17.4 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 69.6 %
3.2 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
2.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
0.8 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.7 %
0.10 oz Pearle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 14.7 IBUs
0.10 oz Pearle [8.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 2.9 IBUs
0.10 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 8 -
1.0 pkg Munich (Danstar #) [50.00 ml] Yeast 10 -

Fawcett makes an oat malt that some claim can self convert. If that's correct, it might make for an interesting SMaSH.

So I have leftover centennial hops in the freezer and I was thinking I would try Golden promise or Vienna for my next smash. Which one do you think tastes more different than Maris Otter?

I wasn't sure about the different brands so my Maris Otter smash is actually a mix of half Muntons and half some other brand. Now I wish I would have stuck with one brand.

Back