Will dryhopping help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I brewed a lighter pale ale and the bittering is coming through very strong but the flavor/aroma hops are no where to be found. So it tastes like a Blonde Ale but has a very pronounced finishing bitterness.

I know Dryhopping will help add some aroma, but what about flavor?

This beer has been in the keg for about 3 weeks (3 week primary, 3 weeks in keg). Any suggestions for salvaging it?

I think dry hopping only affects aroma. Since its not boiled, none of the flavors will come through.

The only difference between flavor oils and aroma oils is the molecular weight, so dry hopping does add flavor. We don't think of it that way because the very light aroma oils dominate the process. If you want to add flavor, your best bet is to boil some hops in water for 15-20 minutes and add the tea.

The only difference between flavor oils and aroma oils is the molecular weight, so dry hopping does add flavor. We don't think of it that way because the very light aroma oils dominate the process. If you want to add flavor, your best bet is to boil some hops in water for 15-20 minutes and add the tea.

Hmmm, that's an interesting suggestion.

I could even add an ounce at 'flame out' instead of getting the mess of a dry hop. Is this something that would taste good going straight into the keg?

Hop flavor does come through, just leave an ounce of East Kent Goldings in a corny of mild ale for a few weeks. First it was just flower aroma, then after a couple of weeks the spice flavors from the hops. It made a good beer.
The EKG are still in there. Its been 3 or 4 weeks. I'm going to leave it till the beer is gone to see what it does.

This is the first time I dry hopped.

The only way I can describe the flavor is a lip smacking spicy/bitter after taste. It defiantly says HOPS!

The beer was a Boddingtons clone.

David :)

Poor 2 cups of water into a stock pot, add hops, boil for 5 min, cool, strain, add to the wort.

Don't worry, have a home brew! :)

Scooby -- have you tried this? I'm considering doing it tonight w/ some cascades. I wonder how quickly it will affect the beer.

Back