Idophor for no rinse sanitising?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
I use this for beer and would like to know if it will work for wine bottles?

no, wine bottles harbor special iodine resistant bacteria. Sort of like super-aids.

LOL. So I guess it is alright. I have a big bottle of it and don't want to buy anything else and then have to worry about rinsing. Thanks for the laugh.

I use a tablespoon of Potassium Metabisulfite to a couple gallons of water to sanitize the bottles and corks. You just need to put the bottles in the solution for 30 seconds contact time and no need to rinse. Once the bottles are finished throw the corks in the solution and pull them out as you cork.

If you use Potassium Metabisulfite what is left behind is something that is naturally occuring in wine and it will make the wine last longer. If you use Iodophor if any is left behind it will make your wine taste like a Band-aid.

Forrest

Way too many people use too much Iopophor. They learn from fellow brewers to keep adding it until it has a lot of color. If a little works a lot works a lot better...

Ask Revy...

I am not saying you can't use Iodophor on anything. I thought he wanted an opinion. You will have to use the right amount of either. I would use potassium metabisulphite. If you have the slightest amount too much of iodophor it will not dissapate and will taste like a band-aid. If you have the slightest amount too much of metabisuphite it will dissapate but it will have a slight sulphur taste.

If you use the metabisulphite in the correct amount and you don't rinse it will help the wine last longer. If you use the Iodophor in the correct amount and you don't rinse everything will be fine but without the added bonus of the wine lasting longer.

Forrest

I am not saying you can't use Iodophor on anything. I thought he wanted an opinion. You will have to use the right amount of either. I would use potassium metabisulphite. If you have the slightest amount too much of iodophor it will not dissapate and will taste like a band-aid. If you have the slightest amount too much of metabisuphite it will dissapate but it will have a slight sulphur taste.

If you use the metabisulphite in the correct amount and you don't rinse it will help the wine last longer. If you use the Iodophor in the correct amount and you don't rinse everything will be fine but without the added bonus of the wine lasting longer.

Forrest

True! Campden=good iodine=bad

Back