Storing Ingrediants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just recieved a couple extract kits from AHS and was wondering how to store them. I wont be using them till the weekend so other than refrigarating the liquid yeast is there anything else I need to do? It came with crushed grains, a couple small packages of hops that appear to be vacuum sealed, the liquid malt extract, some malto dextrin, and the priming sugar. I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

if it is only going to sit for a couple of days, it is probably fine at room temp (but keep the yeast in the fridge.)

You can always throw everything into the fridge if you want, but it's not necessary for such a short time span. The kit has probably been sitting at room temp for a number of days or weeks already anyway.

-walker

If by chance I dont get around to brewing this weekend, should I put everything into the fridge? What about the hops, would they be better in the freezer?

Atticmonkey said:
If by chance I dont get around to brewing this weekend, should I put everything into the fridge? What about the hops, would they be better in the freezer?

colder is always better for storage, but I wouldn't stick the liquid extract in the freezer (no idea if it would expand if it froze). Grains and hops can be stored as cold as you want.

Hops: since they are vacuum sealed, it's not that big of a deal, really, but stick them in the freezer if it makes you feel better.

Like I said, this kit has probably sat at room temp for days and days already, so few more days isn't that big of a deal.

-walker

Store hops in the freezer.

Grains, ideally, are best refrigerated, but who has space for that.

Yeast, refrigerated but never frozen.

Extract...get dry extract so you don't have to worry about it. No matter how you store syrup, it gets worse and worse and worse...

So it's OK to just store DME at room temperature? I ask because I just bought a 50 lb sack of DME, and want to make sure it stays usable over the course of the year. If there is a better way to store DME, please share it.

I've always been under the impression that moisture was the only enemy of DME. I use so little that I'll often have a bag sitting around for years and it still seems just fine and the starters still go. I store mine in the kitchen cupboard.

Maybe someone else knows more about the subject, though.

Back