Auto siphon bubbles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I was racking my irish red into the secondary using an auto siphon for the first time. I lost the siphon at about 1 gallon left due to me trying to hold the siphon and tip the bucket at the same time (uncoordinated?:D ). Nonetheless I pumped it to start it up again but I got tons of bubbles in the tube and going into my secondary! The liquid and the bubbles were moving really slow. I stopped and started a few more times trying to reduce the bubbles, but it didn't really work and I started to kick up sediment from the primary. I had to leave about a half a gallon or so in the primary. What was I doing wrong? Where are these slow-moving bubbles coming from?

I've never experienced slow moving bubbles, but I have done the same thing with the "bucket tilt." I have learned to prop one side of the bucket up with an object 1.5" to 2" in height before I start my auto-siphon. In helps a ton. I also started pulling the tube and the siphon ont of both fermentors as soon as I head the first gurgling. I just had a thought, the bubbles could have been because the elevation change was too little. I.E. The primary and the secondary were at too close of a height.

Hope that helps you out.

Bobby_M said:
Or you have an air leak at the hose/cane joint. You might have 3/8" tubing instead of the more desired 5/16".

This is what I would guess. Need to have the 5/16''.

BUBBLES !

This has been a CONSTANT plm for me ever since I got the auto siphon .. I admire the design and it was a big step up for me from a regular siphon .... BUT!

Bubbles ... I would push the tubing up ... bubbles wld subside so I knew it was a leak in tubing... air leaking in ... wrong size...

I am a victim of the 3/8 (6/16) tubing - never got the 5/16, which is a better fit ...

I suppose I should give AHBS a call now before I rack my Christmas Brown Ale .. ....

Thank You all for reminding me of the error of my ways !

Back