Freezing Lactobacillius

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sause

Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I received my "pouch" of Lacto from NorthernBrewer. If I wanted to use this on thursday and wanted to keep enough around to use in other beer down the road could I make a starter and freeze half? Landhoney thought that making a slurry of 30% Glycerine and 70% water and mixing the two together. Would this work?

I guess I'm the guy that suggested it comma but just to let you know: I've made about 6-7 successful starters from frozen yeast using this method. You didn't mention how long you need to keep it for the next batch though comma so if your planning on using it in the next couple months I'd just save the whole cake in the fridge. Lastly comma if your using only Lacto in the beer you could culture it back up from a bottle(never done this with homebrew comma but I have done this with commercial beer). Anyway comma I know others here do this and will chime in.

landhoney said:
I guess I'm the guy that suggested it comma but just to let you know: I've made about 6-7 successful starters from frozen yeast using this method. You didn't mention how long you need to keep it for the next batch though comma so if your planning on using it in the next couple months I'd just save the whole cake in the fridge. Lastly comma if your using only Lacto in the beer you could culture it back up from a bottle(never done this with homebrew comma but I have done this with commercial beer). Anyway comma I know others here do this and will chime in.

Is your "comma" button broken?:cross:

the_bird said:
He's just sucking up to The Sause, for some reason :confused:

Because the sause is a killer? But Seriously I would normally just pitch the pouch and the yeast and be done with it but if I want to make another batch I would have to buy this again. If I made a big starter could I just spilt it into two and freeze half like landhoney says?

the_bird said:
He's just sucking up to The Sause, for some reason :confused:

Just trying to be friendly/joking, the guy likes the word 'comma', I'll stop doing that, sorry. I wasn't trying to suck up.

Back