First Brew - Brewer's Best American Cream Ale - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gts

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently got a brewer's best home brew kit as an anniversary present. I bought the American Cream Ale extract kit for my first batch. It has been in the primary for 19 days. Only bubbled about 3 days, but after reading some threads here I did not let that bother me.

On brew night it took a really long time to cool to 70 degrees. Once it got to 80 I transferred from the brew pot to the primary and then added cool water (straight from the faucet). Mistake?

I opened the bucket tonight to see that the beer really has not cleared much if any at all. Still looks like wort. temp reading on the outside of the bucket has been 66-68 degrees (sitting in the dark basement)

I thought when I got the kit, the guy at the store told me to bottle it after 2.5 to 3 weeks, but now I'm thinking I either misunderstood or was misinformed.
I thought he had said to let it sit in the primary for 5 or 6 days, transfer to secondary and let sit for 2 weeks then bottle, or just leave it in the primary for 2.5 to 3 weeks then bottle. I believe he said leaving it in the primary much longer than that could cause some off-flavors

Reading through some of the beginner threads I've seen the 1-2-3 or 2-2-3 rule mentioned. Is this different for extract kits vs. all grain brewing?

I thought about stopping in to pickup a carboy tomorrow and transferring to that and giving it more time. Or should I just leave it in the primary and check on it in another 2 weeks?

I know that's a lot of questions for one thread, sorry to ramble. Any help/advice appreciated.

gts said:
Hi everyone,
I recently got a brewer's best home brew kit as an anniversary present. I bought the American Cream Ale extract kit for my first batch. It has been in the primary for 19 days. Only bubbled about 3 days, but after reading some threads here I did not let that bother me.

On brew night it took a really long time to cool to 70 degrees. Once it got to 80 I transferred from the brew pot to the primary and then added cool water (straight from the faucet). Mistake?

I opened the bucket tonight to see that the beer really has not cleared much if any at all. Still looks like wort. temp reading on the outside of the bucket has been 66-68 degrees (sitting in the dark basement)

I thought when I got the kit, the guy at the store told me to bottle it after 2.5 to 3 weeks, but now I'm thinking I either misunderstood or was misinformed.
I thought he had said to let it sit in the primary for 5 or 6 days, transfer to secondary and let sit for 2 weeks then bottle, or just leave it in the primary for 2.5 to 3 weeks then bottle. I believe he said leaving it in the primary much longer than that could cause some off-flavors

Reading through some of the beginner threads I've seen the 1-2-3 or 2-2-3 rule mentioned. Is this different for extract kits vs. all grain brewing?

I thought about stopping in to pickup a carboy tomorrow and transferring to that and giving it more time. Or should I just leave it in the primary and check on it in another 2 weeks?

I know that's a lot of questions for one thread, sorry to ramble. Any help/advice appreciated.

Adding anything that hasn't been sanitized (water straight from the tap, etc ) is not good practice, but you can't really worry about that now. Watch for infection, but pretend it never happened.

It's tough to tell in the bucket whether it has cleared. Not a lot of light filters through, so to me they always look opaque. And 66-68 is plenty warm, maybe even too warm. Fermentation is exothermic, so during the most vigorous times, it can heat up 5-10*f. Maybe look into a swamp cooler if you can't keep it cooler via other methods.

After that, there are some opinions on how long to stay in primary and how long to stay in secondary, if at all. I would suggest leaving it in primary a total of about 3 weeks. Check your gravity and then check it again a couple days later. If it is steady, bottle it. If not, wait longer.

3 weeks and it is probably done,take a gravity reading to be sure. No need to transfer it to secondary. Once you bottle it let them sit around 70 degrees to condition and carb up,most likely another 3 weeks.

Yea, it is probably done, like the others have said, get a couple of hydrometer readings 2 days apart, if they are the same and relatively close to your expected finish gravity get that beer bottled up.

This was my first brew it actually turned out better than hoped. I let it in primary for 1 week then secondary 1 week and now it's bottled had a FG of 1.012. I did everything exactly as you did and have been told if your tap water is drinkable...would you drink it right now without having weird tastes to it? Then it is ok to use. It's been in bottles for 1 week now I popped one open still not fully carbonated so letting it sit at least another 1-2 weeks but it honestly didn't taste bad the fiancé even liked it, which surprised me. But as from what you described it sounds like everything you saw in your brew I've seen in mine I do think racking to secondary did clean it up a bit further but other than that it looked horrible in the primary bucket. Best of luck hope it turns out great!

Back