repitching liquid yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
HEY BREWERS I'm planning to switch from dry to liquid yeasts in the near future.I am trying to study up on L.Y.'s as much as I can.I need some info on how to reuse yeast from batch to batch .Who can help me out?Also, I would like to know ,has anyone ever repitched dry yeast?

Well, I try to plan two or three batches using the same yeast. Then, I brew one, when switching to secondary I brew another and just pour it right on top of the yeast cake/trub in the primary I just emptied. Works well, a little too well, so have a blow off tube handy.

seefresh said:
Well, I try to plan two or three batches using the same yeast. Then, I brew one, when switching to secondary I brew another and just pour it right on top of the yeast cake/trub in the primary I just emptied. Works well, a little too well, so have a blow off tube handy.

I too repitch on top of the yeast from the previous batch, the day I switch to Secondary I pitch a breand new batch onto the yeast cake.
I just plan a darker beer for each successive batch.
Pale Ale = Batch no. 1
Amber Ale = Batch no. 2
Stout, Porter or Brown Ale batch no. 3

Also I would look into yeast washing if you want to extend the life of your yeast after that.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/cbrew/cbyewash.htm

http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=20020430195005429

^^^^^
3/4 of the way down the above page talks about yeast washing.

I've heard that because of how dried yeast is processed and packaged it is not sterile and you run the risk of off flavours etc from increasing bacterial presence when you repitch.

I pitched a Dunkelweizen onto the cake from a 3068 smack pack used for a hefe - my temp at pitch was low (60F) so there was considerable lag time - about 36 hours and then it took off and now appears to be fine. It has slowed down to about a bubble a minute after another 36 hours. Curious to see how it comes out. I didn't use a starter on the hefe and it took quite a while to start as well - I'll definitely use a starter the next time I use liquid yeast.

Back