"Richard" move on the part of Samuel Smith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always liked Samuel Smith. I know it won't make a lick of difference to anybody, but I won't buy any more of their beer. $18000 over 12 years? We need to get those guys over here to straighten out our financial situation. We wouldn't even need to raise taxes.

I didn't follow the story. How could a brewery shut down a pub for how it serves the beer? I guess the relationship between brewery and publican in the UK is not just a buyer-seller relationship.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
I didn't follow the story. How could a brewery shut down a pub for how it serves the beer? I guess the relationship between brewery and publican in the UK is not just a buyer-seller relationship.

The brewery owns the pub in this case.

Sounds like the tenders were overpouring, but Sam smith wants a short pour...they could have went about it differently without kicking everyone out and publicly chastising the tenders

I just can't understand how a loss of $1500 a year is worth this kind of reaction. Hell, they could ask patrons to give an extra dollar (or it's British Pound equivalent) and they would make up the difference in a few months, if not faster. Talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face.

"Samuel Smith’s Brewery, based at Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, refused to comment."

Because they know they will get in deeper dog doo if they open their mouths.

Fact is, Samuel Smith wants the Landlord to UNDER fill the pints. Leaves more beer in the keg for more sales. But it's common practice to fill a full pint if the customer would rather have the beer than the head.

Isn't there a law over there about having to serve a full pint of beer? Some sort of line on the glass or something??

"Samuel Smith’s Brewery, based at Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, refused to comment."

Because they know they will get in deeper dog doo if they open their mouths.

Fact is, Samuel Smith wants the Landlord to UNDER fill the pints. Leaves more beer in the keg for more sales. But it's common practice to fill a full pint if the customer would rather have the beer than the head.

Isn't there a law over there about having to serve a full pint of beer? Some sort of line on the glass or something??

Exactly, and the management was filling OVER that line. The owners had a right to take issue with this... HOWEVER, there is a way to deal with it and a way not to... this is a perfect example of the "not to"!

As dick-ish as the move is - at least by doing it so publicly and on such a busy night, it'll be clear to the customers of that pub that when they start getting short(er)-fills, it's the brewery to blame, not the bar tenders...

Not that I believe for a second that was the intent behind this approach. I've read a few articles about them recently, and the guys running Samuel Smith sound like real ****** bags.

Back