What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, yesterday all I did was drink beer. (I mean, I did other things too, but that's the only beer related thing I did...)

But the afternoon before that I kegged a light wheat beer. It's going to need a lot of carb to be any good.

No plans tonight. Probably just drink more beer.

In the past week I have transferred my Flander's Red to secondary and pitched the bugs, harvested the dregs from a bottle of Orval, and did the same from a Rogue Chocolate Stout. All that and I bought the grain and yeast for a batch each of ordinary bitter, mild, ESB and KaiserAlt.

Yesterday I racked two beers into secondary and made two 1L starters.

Today I am brewing! Up at 5, first batch, an AG nut brown is chillin as we speak. Was a little rusty with the process. But its all good.

Next batch is going to be an extract, full boil, since I have the set up out anyway. NB breakwater pale ale.

Racked my IPA to secondary on top of 1 oz of Palisades. Brought home a 12 pack of Shock-Top Raspberry wheat to get some more bottles, opened the case, they're twisties...oh well...I'm now "researching" this beer as my beautiful bride thoroughly enjoys it.....

And by researching I mean drinking...

I was supposed to make yeast starters last nite for a brew comming up on Tues. I had a few pints with a friend and forgot. I woke up early this morning, skipped breakfast and pulled some jars of yeast from the freezer. Got three starters spinning now.

Bottled a Grisette and American Brown this morning, washed the 3522 from the Grisette. Just picked up some 3711, about to make a starter with that, 3522, and 3944 for a Saison I'm brewing tomorrow.

Kegged the wheat/rye ale, finally. Going to pick up a fridge from a friend tomorrow so I can actually have a way to chill the beer. I also plan on brewing a Citra pale ale tomorrow.

I smacked a pack for an overnight for my Belgian wit AG tomorrow, brewing a partial mash RyePA tonight.

Pull a hydro sample from my Wildflower Wheat, wow does this taste like honey! Its only been 3 days but fermentation took off with in 4 hours. I used wlp005 with a 2 liter starter and a bunch of o2. I am thinking wlp005 may be my new house yeast, seems to be a nice middle ground between wlp002 and wlp007.

Picked up ingredients for 3 recipes and some gear and went to a LHBS and brewed some beer with a group of some great people

stepped up to 10g mash tun. got the washer and orings i forgot for my kettle thermometer. picked up two english pint glasses (pint glasses that hold more than a 12oz bottle of beer?! i'm in love!)

forgot to mention i bought applewood chips to smoke some two row for the breakfast stout i plan to make at some point (figure i'll get some bacon flavour in there, but nowhere near as strong as rauchbeer)

Checked on my first kegged batch this morning before work and found an empty co2 tank. Obviously, I missed a leak somewhere. I checked the gas connection and keg opening when I hooked the gas up. I didn't check everything else because it was all checked when I sanitized. Lesson learned: check everything every time, even the connections I didn't mess with.

Checked the gravities on my Cali Common and Breakfast Stout. I could have my first stuck fermentation on the stout. It's chilly in the basement right now so I added a heat belt and gave it a gentle swirl to rouse the yeasties awake. I hope that works.

Today I got all my recipes put into BrewTarget and scaled up to my new 7-gallon batch size.

Just finished building my mash tun and HLT. Just have to order to some high temp tubing and a grain kit and I'll be set for my next brew session.

Drank a beer while I stared at our hops containers in hopes that one would break ground right in front of my eyes.

Alas, it did not happen. So I drank another beer.

Drank a beer while I stared at our hops containers in hopes that one would break ground right in front of my eyes.

Alas, it did not happen. So I drank another beer.

I just did the same thing. Also unsuccessful on my end, taunting the hops by telling them that tomatoes would've already sprouted.

Cleaned my better bottle in preperation for moving my IPA into secondary tomorrow.
Gathered equipment for bottling my Hefe tomorrow.
Researched brewing a SMaSH for National Homebrew Day.
Compared pots and kegs for my new Brew Kettle.
Drank a homebrew.

Labelled an IPA and pasteurized a crappy cider last night. One bottled exploded and blew the top off the kettle. I finished the batch anyway.

Disassembled my old, dying keezer. It hasn't been keeping temps and it was from 1982 so it couldn't be serviced for under $400 because of the R12 freon.

I'm about halfway done with my new keezer. Sadly, it's only 16 cu ft. My old one was 24. The pluses: $100 off CL, 3 years old, and frost free.

Hopefully I'll have some time to work on it tomorrow, but SWMBO is out of town and I have our two year old all to myself. Perhaps nap time...

I purchased a plate chiller off ebay, a used shirron. I am glad I finally did it and will probably use my immersion chiller as a prechiller. Taking 20-30 minutes to get down to temps in summer sucks.

went to lhbs to pick up yeast for the barleywine i'm making next sunday (wanted to step up the starter a few times)
finished attaching bulkhead and thermometer to one of the kettles
will finish sleaning up garage because that's where i'm gonna start brewing

Stepped up my bells starter for the third time (from 800 to 2000 to another 2000 ml) in anticipation of using it in my Amarillo blonde I'm making tomorrow (then gonna use that cake for a two hearted clone).

Back