First Brew - 7 Days In And Looking Fine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
My pale ale just hit the 7-day mark, so I decided I'd get a gravity reading and a wee nip for my notes. Gravity is at 1.018, down from 1.054 when I installed the blow-off. Temps have been good, mid-60's with a swamp cooler. Had some great 48-hour blow-off, settled down a couple of days ago. I switched the tube to an airlock for the next week, when I'll be forced to rack her to secondary to free up the big carboy for Yooper's Ruination clone I'm throwing together next Saturday.

The smell was darn sweet, and I don't know if that's normal or not. I was a bit worried, but when I got my hydro sample in a glass and took a swig it was quite nice! Fruity, good hops on the nose and the tongue, not much malt character really, but in line with the sorts of things I like to drink. She's still bubbling away with the airlock, I expect the FG to fall in the low 10's but I really have no reason to say that. :) It's got room to dry out for sure if it does, but really even if it stopped now I'd drink it!

And that's the bottom line, right?

Great that things went well on the first go. Congrats and enjoy when it's ready!

B

Congrats! Let us know how it turns out after a couple weeks in the bottle.

I was impressed with my first brew when I started a few months ago. I thought I had the technique down but my next couple brews had some issues. Since then, I've learned so much to help improve taste and procedure. Keep up the good work and check these forums often. It's great advice

Back