First Gluten Free Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjab7

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forums and new to homebrewing. I just got diagnosed with celiacs last Thanksgiving and was really disappointed at the gluten free beer selection so I decided to take up homebrewing with a little help from a friend. Here's my first recipe that I'm gonna brew in the next few days. I loved IPAs back in my non-celiac days, so I figured I'd make something similar. Any suggestions/recommendations would be awesome and I'll definitely follow up with my progress/results.

My First HG Homebrew:

6 lbs 10 oz Briess White Sorghum Syrup (cause it comes in 3.3 lb containers)
2 lbs 10 oz Lundgring Brown Rice Syrup (cause it comes in 2.3 lb containers)
4 oz Maltodextrin (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)

0.5 oz Amarillo (60 min)
3 oz Cascade (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)
1 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Safale US-05

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.017
6.3 ABV

What's the %AA on your hops? Looks pretty decent and pretty similar to the one I just made 2 weeks ago (will be racking to secondary for dry hopping this weekend). I used a combo of Chinook, Centennial and Cascades for about 60IBU if I remember correctly. The main difference in the recipe is I didn't use any brown rice syrup, but I used some honey to add some fermentables that weren't sorghum. Good luck with it!

Quick question: Is Cooper's Dry Ale Yeast Gluten Free? Have some I need to use up and I promised a friend that I would take a shot at a Gluten Free beer. (Looking at a Sorghum/Rice/Roasted Buckwheat (Steeped) with a Hallertau/Tetnager hop profile.)

Also have some Danstar Windsor yeast that I need to use which is gluten free.

OOPS.. sorry posted in the wrong thread... sorry...maybe will get an answer anyway..

Quick question: Is Cooper's Dry Ale Yeast Gluten Free? Have some I need to use up and I promised a friend that I would take a shot at a Gluten Free beer. (Looking at a Sorghum/Rice/Roasted Buckwheat (Steeped) with a Hallertau/Tetnager hop profile.)

Also have some Danstar Windsor yeast that I need to use which is gluten free.

OOPS.. sorry posted in the wrong thread... sorry...maybe will get an answer anyway..

I'm sorry, I don't know recluse. I just stick with the fermentis range.

Slowfro- the %AA for the Amarillo was 7.0 and the cascade was 5.5 for an IBU around 40. I wanted to Brown Rice Syrup because its available at the whole foods right by my house and I thought it would cut back on the sorghum flavor a bit. Honey would be cool to try in the future though.

Spaced- My brew is coming along well I believe. I had it sitting in my primary for about 7 days, then I transfered it over to my secondary and dry hopped it. It sat there for about 10 days and then I bottled it about a week ago. The Irish Moss I used really did the trick because this beer is very clear looking. In about a week or two it should be ready to drink and when that comes I'll post my results here.

I'll be interested to hear how the brown rice syrup affects both the color and flavor. When you get around to cracking one open can you post a picture of the beer to show the color? Mine is bottle conditioning yet, should be set next week. You should try honey some time, it adds a good amount of fermentable sugars, and it's used a lot in IIPAs to give it that extra push of ABV. When I bottled mine I didn't pick up much sorghum at all, but I only took a little sip of the hydro sample. The true test will be next weekend when I get it in the hands of the people I brewed it for! I'll let you know what they say.

Spaced- My brew is coming along well I believe. I had it sitting in my primary for about 7 days, then I transfered it over to my secondary and dry hopped it. It sat there for about 10 days and then I bottled it about a week ago. The Irish Moss I used really did the trick because this beer is very clear looking. In about a week or two it should be ready to drink and when that comes I'll post my results here.

Lookin good. Have you tried a sample from the fermenter yet?

I'd say this will finish pretty tasty.

So my beer is finally done, it came out pretty great. Its a pretty intense beer, at about a little of 6% alcohol and very hoppy. When I try this again, I might use a higher brown rice syrup to sorghum ratio because the sorghum does come through a little too much. Overall I'd say a pretty successful IPA on my first try. Here's some pics of the brew. Ignore the Bard's six pack holder, I just reuse them haha.

5739-ipa2.jpg
5738-ipa1.jpg

Back