2010 Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing this in a week, let me know what you guys think.

6.5 gal.
Grain bill
18LB. 2nd-Row
1LB. Carmel crystal 45L
.25LB Honey malt
1LB pure Honey
Hop Schedule-
1oz Citra @ 60min.
1oz Chinook @ 30 min.
1/2oz Citra @ 30 min.
1/2oz Citra @ 15min.
Dry hop-
2 oz Cascade
1 oz Saaz
Yeast-
2xWhiteLabs WLP023 Burton Ale yeast:fro:

Something about this seems weird. I know it'll turn out great regardless.. I just don't really have any knowledge to what flavors the Citra hops will leave and how it'll compliment Saaz and honey. I love Saaz, but I just don't know how Citra will go with it. I guess I'm also more partial to american pale ales with a little more malt flavor. Honey + Citra + Saaz = ???? Would definitely be interested in the results. I also have no real knowledge of the yeast lol.

Edit: for some reason I read the recipe as .5LBS of crystal, not 1LB. I think you'll be fine, the honey will dry it out. I did something similar to this before and it was fine. Maybe take it down to .75LBS though lol.

Thinking of brewing this in a week, let me know what you guys think.

6.5 gal.
Grain bill
18LB. 2nd-Row
1LB. Carmel crystal 45L
.25LB Honey malt
1LB pure Honey
Hop Schedule-
1oz Citra @ 60min.
1oz Chinook @ 30 min.
1/2oz Citra @ 30 min.
1/2oz Citra @ 15min.
Dry hop-
2 oz Cascade
1 oz Saaz
Yeast-
2xWhiteLabs WLP023 Burton Ale yeast:fro:

Have you used Citra in the boil yet? I've read maybe 2 people that say they like it. I did an all citra ipa and I dumped it. Great aroma, awful flavor. There's a reason Sierra Nevada only uses it for dry hopping.

Thats way too much crystal malt. I would dial it back or delete it completely. Same with the honey malt. You don't want a DIPA coming across as sweet. Sweet & Hoppy don't mix too well.

The honey seems ok. No real flavor contributions there. It'll help dry it out. Did you replace some of your grain with the honey? A lot of people will take out some of the base grain and replace it with corn sugar.

I feel like I just ripped this apart, it's all constructive.
:mug:

I agree with the others, probably cut down on the crystal to .5 lb and I haven't brewed with citra before. I know warrior's for bittering work really well for a IIPA as do chinooks

Thank you, this is how I like to dial in my recipes, all the input I can get will help with this brew. Your right about the citra hops and I've decided to dry hop the 2 oz. instead of boil. Also I'm going to replace the saaz with either MT. hood or organic palisade. As for the Grain bill, I'm going to keep this the same. this is just a rough draft for this beer. any more suggestions with the hop schedule would be much appreciated.

My knowledge of the hops:
Chinook:A pine forest washed with exotic spice and infused with grapefruit. This alluring aroma and a high bittering value has gained this hop full respect from craft & major brewers.
Citra:A very new high alpha Hallertauer hybrid with distinctive citrus aroma.
MT. Hood: Hybrid of Hallertau with similar mild flower/spice aroma characteristics with a hint more of the forest. “Clean” commonly describes it
Organic palisade:A new multi purpose hop with a unique spicy aroma. Undisclosed pedigree. Give em a try. I was told to use these at the end of your boil for their distinctive aroma quality.
Cascade: Flowers, citrus & spice with grapefruit the noticeable fragrance quite often. This medium aroma balances the low bittering value. Very popular hop among craft brewers.
I would love to try to blend these into a unique pail ale. Any suggestions? :fro:

I agree with the others, probably cut down on the crystal to .5 lb and I haven't brewed with citra before. I know warrior's for bittering work really well for a IIPA as do chinooks

Note that he is making 6.5 gallons and adding honey to it to dry it out.

I haven't bought the hops for this brew yet, so I'm looking at some other options to replace the citra hops with. I just realized that I'm using almost all the hops that I currently grow in my hop garden; Cascades,MT. Hood, Nugget, and Magnums) are currently resting in the back yard. So I'm thinking that If I find a good recipe using these hops, That I could turn this into a seasonal harvest beer.
since I have Chinook on hand and not nugget, I will replace them later in future brews.This is what I was thinking for this version.
-Hop schedule 2010 Double Pale Ale-
1oz Chinook @ 60min.
1oz Magnum @ 30 min
1oz magnum @ 15 min.
1/2 Mt Hood @ 10min.
Dry hop 2oz Cascade & 1oz MT.Hood

I haven't bought the hops for this brew yet, so I'm looking at some other options to replace the citra hops with. I just realized that I'm using almost all the hops that I currently grow in my hop garden; Cascades,MT. Hood, Nugget, and Magnums) are currently resting in the back yard. So I'm thinking that If I find a good recipe using these hops, That I could turn this into a seasonal harvest beer.
since I have Chinook on hand and not nugget, I will replace them later in future brews.This is what I was thinking for this version.
-Hop schedule 2010 Double Pale Ale-
1oz Chinook @ 60min.
1oz Magnum @ 30 min
1oz magnum @ 15 min.
1/2 Mt Hood @ 10min.
Dry hop 2oz Cascade & 1oz MT.Hood

I vehemently disagree with those who say Citra is not a good flavor hop. It is there that I find it to shine. I did and all Citra PA and an Ipa with Citra @ 15. Both of them posess a full fruitiness that is unique and very tasty.
I made an Amber recently with Citra as FHW and the jury is still out on whether I like it as a bittering hop.

just ordered my hops. 2oz Cascade, 2oz magnum, and 4oz Amarillo. Would anyone recommend adding the Amarillo to the mix, If so what would bee your hop schedule for this brew.

Final Recipe- Double Lift Pale Ale 6.5 gal.
15lb. German Pilsner
.75 Carmel Crystal 45L
.25 Belgian Biscuit
.25 honey malt
Total- 16.5lb.
Hop schedule- 60 min boil
Amarillo:alpha-8.6%
1oz. 30 min. / 1oz. 30 min.
Magnum:alpha-15%
1/2oz. 15 min.
Chinook:alpha-13.5%
Cascade:alpha-7.0%