Disturb or have faith ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vels

Reaction score
Hi

I have a heavy (SG 1.079) stout sitting in secondary for now. I plan to bottle after 3 weeks secondary. Usually i have faith that there is enough yeast in suspensin to carbonate, but in this brew the yeast seemed to settle out after 1 week in secondary and brew was pitch black.
I used wyeast 1028 London ale. It is pretty flocculant and clings together well when setteling.

In similar situation would you have faith that yeast is still in suspension or would you stir up a little sediment before botteling :confused:

I would not stir it up at all................There are millions of little yeasties floating around just waiting for more food to show up.

IGOR

I a similar uber-flocculant White Labs yeast (WLP002, English Ale) a couple of times recently and had no problems with carbonation. Leave the sediment in the fermenter and bottle away...as long as it's done fermenting!

Well it is done. It is 100% clear and FG ok.

I bottled without disturbing the sediment.

I tasted the bottling leftovers. I think we have a winner. This high gravity stout is only a month old and allready soooo smooth.
Ill wait out the mellowing, but nex time i allready think a little less on the coffee notes and maybe some liqurice.

For now just hoping carb will be ok.

Back